• Time
  • Show
Clear All

One leg Kick,

I dont disagree with you. I myself have encoutered 5 types of fliers

1. The Old Bird that cares and helps
    2. The Old bird that bo Chup you and glares at you like you descirbed
    3. The new bird that humbly ask for help and listens to advise
    4,. The new bird that thinks he knows a lot and does not listen to any advise. Crashes numerous times and probably wonders why.(these normally get shouted and yelled at when flying unsafe)
    5. The old bird that flies like a new bird....(they also get shouted at)

Go figure...I hope you are #3. And I hope Im #1.

But I do get to be #2 when I meet #4 or #5.
    Do you feel the RUSH....!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by onelegkick View Post
      Hi , Thanks for sharing.

What I am writing maybe likely piss some people off. But I am just being honest.

I am considering flying with some regular seasoned flyers. I had been flying on my own on 2 occasions on a deserted field with no one because

(A) I am a newbie and don't want to be embarassed when my plane crashes

(B) because I had earlier tried to orientate myself with senior flyers at fields, but they too seem cold and unfriendly and unhelpful and gave me a ' WTF are you doing, flying your beginner plane here- look'

So I think the OTHER IMPORTANT ETIQUETTE is to also educate all regular and seasoned old-birds RC flyers to spare a thought, stop being rude (you may not know it, but to newbies, you are) to new flyers who come in.

I think a friendly casual and soft conversation goes a LONG LONG LONG way to everyone having an enjoyable safe flying time at the site. After all, the site belongs to not just the seasoned regular flyers but also newbies too and we have to start some where. And let;s not forget, you were once newbies and flying erractically too.

Don't believe me? I suggest you disguise yourself and go to new flying site where no one knows you, and you start to fly your highway trainer and see what kind of reception and welcome you get from senior regulars who are there.

So my message to all seasoned regulars who read this is :

(A) don't be incensed if you read this. Because if you are, you just know you are guilty of some of the things I said and experienced above

(B) BE HELPFUL. We newbies have to start some where. You too were a newbie before.

(C) Being Kind, Courteous GOES A LONG WAY to building up this sport hobby. Shouting and shooting glares at newbies who made mistakes IS NOT EDUCATING, but alienating them.

My humble 1c worth.
      Sorry to hear about your experience. Rest assured not all places are like that.. There are plenty of helpful guys that you haven't met...
      Hanger
      Hirobo XRB SR Lama
      Hirobo Quark SRB
      Hirobo Quark SRB SG
      Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
      Blade450 3D
      MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
      COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
      Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
      FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
      Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
      HK FLYJET EDF
      Artech Skyfun
      Dynam P51D Mustang
      Parkzone P51

Tx:
      Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
      Spektrum DX6i
      DX8
      Futaba 9CAP

Comment

Don't believe me? I suggest you disguise yourself and go to new flying site where no one knows you, and you start to fly your highway trainer and see what kind of reception and welcome you get from senior regulars who are there.

onelegkick,

I did that recently... but no need to "disguise" myself, cos I'm not so famous

Went to fly at a big field in the east, first time there, and loved the wide open space.

Flew a low-wing trainer type warbird, and yes, can feel that other fliers are wary at first. But gradually relax when they see that you're not going to crash or do something silly. I think this is perfectly natural of course. And in singapore, most people are naturally reticent, not appearing to be talkative or approachable, to strangers. Takes time.
        ------------------------------
        Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
        NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Hehe correction

Hi , Thanks for sharing.

What I am writing maybe likely piss some people off. But I am just being honest.

I am considering flying with some regular seasoned flyers. I had been flying on my own on 2 occasions on a deserted field with no one because

(B) because I had earlier tried to orientate myself with senior flyers at fields, but they too seem cold and unfriendly and unhelpful and gave me a ' WTF are you doing, flying your beginner plane here- look'

So I think the OTHER IMPORTANT ETIQUETTE is to also educate all regular and seasoned old-birds RC flyers to spare a thought, stop being rude (you may not know it, but to newbies, you are) to new flyers who come in.

I think a friendly casual and soft conversation goes a LONG LONG LONG way to everyone having an enjoyable safe flying time at the site. After all, the site belongs to not just the seasoned regular flyers but also newbies too and we have to start some where. And let;s not forget, you were once newbies and flying erractically too.

(A) don't be incensed if you read this. Because if you are, you just know you are guilty of some of the things I said and experienced above

(B) BE HELPFUL. We newbies have to start some where. You too were a newbie before.

(C) Being Kind, Courteous GOES A LONG WAY to building up this sport hobby. Shouting and shooting glares at newbies who made mistakes IS NOT EDUCATING, but alienating them.

My humble 1c worth.
          In case some bros scratching their head: Actually should be High-wing and not highway... hehe may have overlooked typo error.
          Hanger
          Hirobo XRB SR Lama
          Hirobo Quark SRB
          Hirobo Quark SRB SG
          Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
          Blade450 3D
          MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
          COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
          Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
          FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
          Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
          HK FLYJET EDF
          Artech Skyfun
          Dynam P51D Mustang
          Parkzone P51

Tx:
          Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
          Spektrum DX6i
          DX8
          Futaba 9CAP

Comment

Originally posted by elmosan View Post
            In case some bros scratching their head: Actually should be High-wing and not highway... hehe may have overlooked typo error.

Yep... that was a typo.

Thanks for catching that. !

Comment

Originally posted by elmosan View Post
              Sorry to hear about your experience. Rest assured not all places are like that.. There are plenty of helpful guys that you haven't met...
              +1
              Irony = displaying enough parking coupons on your dashboard but getting fined for littering when you throw the stubs on the floor

Comment

comments below....

Hi , Thanks for sharing.

yeah, true. Been there, done that.

suggestion: maybe you can find friends in here (DH forum) from that particular field and then 'link up'.

see suggestion above. a friendly who is experienced will help you ease into that field.

see suggestion above too again. by the way, did you introduce yourself when going flying to the group? smile? say 'hi, I'm a beginner, are you free? can you guide me a bit?' not all 'old birds' are flying all the time, man, there will be pockets of 'spare time' in which they may help you out

well, I will walk up to the group, introduce myself, say I am new, where can I take off, am I clear to fly, would you be able to guide me through? etc etc

ok. right. I have yelled at ppl before. True. Dont take it personally.

sure thing. all they need to do is ask.
                helped a couple of newbies already, buddy corded them up too. Saved a few nice new planes this way. No problem there.

hey buddy, but when your plane is out of control, I'll be yelling for you to land.

the reason for this: the longer the plane is out of control, the more risk.

the risk is:

1) to environment
                2) to your plane
                3) to people around.

better to land faster than to struggle with your OOC plane. Planes are safest when on the ground.

My humble 1c worth.
                hey no problemo. where do you fly? if it's in the west maybe you can pm me or something.
                "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Thank you all (Hawkeye, Pixeldixel, sunstorm, elmosan and all who dropped me a PM)

Thanks for the encouragement. I was just trying to let seasoned flyers see it from the point of newbies who are just starting out. And I am a newbie. I remembered I was just as nervous and not wanting to have a royal crash on my 1st plane.

I had actually tried being friendly. The minute I intro myself and said I am a beginner, all I got were mono-syllable answers . I guess they were busy setting up their planes.

I walked to the very far end and hand launched my Cub High Wing. Without anyone advising me, I also was considerate and flew in small tight circles so as not to overlap their own bigger planes.

After 3 circuits of ovals and 2 figure 8s, I landed WAY FAR away from them and on the deserted road. I packed up and drove off.

Comment

I wanted to highlight an incident that happened over the weekend which I felt could have been clearly avoided in the first place.

3 DLG pilots went out to the middle of the field about 50m from the road/pavement to launch their DLgs. This was done in the lull of the powered planes pilots taking a break.

However, 3 pilots who arrived at the field later, who positioned themsleves on the left side of the field launched and flew their planes at well over 150km/hour...small propped screching LOW over the heads of the poor DLG pilots in the middle of the field.

The poor DLG pilots were clearly intimidated and to a point bullied off the field.

Do we have to behave like that??? I mean seriously!!!

I think this could have been avoided if the fast plane pilots could have walked over to the DLG guys on the field to warn them of thier flight and its flight line. Im sure the DLG pilots would have graciously moved off the field to let you fly. We all learn to take turns flying.

So suggestion: If you plan to fly low passes, and your plane will most lkely fly over the heads of people already on the field, please walk over to warn them politely before you take off. Dont take off and intimidate people on the field, be it pilots, picnickers etc.

We dont have issue with fast planes - we enjoy watching them
                    We dont have issue with low passes - as long its not over people's head
                    We have issue if you intimidate and bully people off the field with your flying objects.

Thanks for reading.

Comment

IS a good reminder...

The ferrari meet the taxi

Now available in SBS 3D / VR here: https://youtu.be/aGGnWWB-Wac#TaxiandFerraricrashed, #HighSpeedFerrariCrashesintoTaxi.In the accident last Saturday morning...

When 450 hit the face

I want to make peopple aware what of what these helis can do.

Please keep it safe... is painful and heart breaking

Comment

SAFETY FIRST

Comment

I honestly do not understand how difficult it is to indicate one's intention to use the airspace. A simple "Hi guys do you mind getting behind the flight line? we would like to use the airspace for a bit..." would have been nice. Not only was it reckless, It showed lack of basic courtesy.

On hindsight, they did put on a nice aerial display and I enjoyed the fast low passes nonetheless (after the dlg pilots hurried back to safety of course). :smile3:
                          Irony = displaying enough parking coupons on your dashboard but getting fined for littering when you throw the stubs on the floor

Comment

On the plus side, in the unfortunate case that he actually hit someone, at least can make police report, sue him, ensure that every dollar he earns for the rest of his life is yours i guess (hopefully some jail time). Some upside there if you are not killed or maimed.

Comment

seems like these guys were trying to scare or intimidate the dlg fliers into moving off the field....

sounds like a repeat of this type of case here....

if this happens again just record the incident via phone cam. we'll let the forum be the judge = p
                              "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

I will have my video cam handy at the field from now on. With Zoom and all

Comment

Working...
                                X