Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AFV Tiger I - Final Version

Started this thread in conjuction with FooFighter's excellent Panther thread here:
    WWII and what better companion to a german Panther G than a late german Tiger I Ausf E ...just hoping I can catch up

1) Box Art

2) Nowadays, 1/48 AFV could easily pass off as early 1/35 Kits

3) No AFV gets build without the customary "worn" road wheels effects, for speed, I usually stick each wheel into a satay stick, rotate them in a container filled with 1mm of thinner...

4) ...let it soak for 10 secs or so, then roll, slide and scratch the contact surfaces over some sandpaper...

5) ...depending on the material of the wheel, use a rougher grade of sandpaper and a longer soaking time for rubber and a finer sandpaper with shorter time with the thinner, the tiger I final versions uses steel wheels...

6) ...Assembled the lower hull and running gears and awaiting cleanup of the blurs, note every single wheel is "worn" as it should be on the real thing.

...Opps ! ...I missed out the idler wheel
    Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

...Cont:

7) Top hull, front glacier plate and rear plate on, just love those tracks, you glue them together with the same plastic cement as what you use on the rest of the kit.

8) One of the problem with using flexible 1-pc tracks is that they don't lay down realistically (simulating the weight), the cure is to either glue them to the wheels or insert very thin rods at stratagic place to hold the track down.

9) Basic turret completed, this is one of my favourite part as usually there's lots of detailing and surface texturing to be done here, but as this is suppose to be a SOOB project, I'll leave my dremel alone.

Comment

...cont:

10) Had to stop for the night (2 am ) here's some "step back and take a look" photos of my handiwork

11) Side on view

12) I've seen this before ! ...AH, ...SAVING PRIVATE RYAN (SPR)

13) Another SPR feeling photo

14) Engine deck details, those grilles just screams "PE" !!!

...more to come

Comment

wah.. more more more..

very good explanation.. slowly my friend.. so I can catch up with the step by step..

cheers
        quest
        Life is not the amount of breath you take, it's the moment that take your breath away
        Avant Aurora (E1)
        Avant Aurora (E2)
        Mcp X
        GAUI X5

LOGO 550SX

WTS
        JR RS77s 72MHz synthesizer $100
        will give the buyer 2 unit of electron 6 with 72.810 pin free

Comment

Hi GF

Great way to spend away the wee hours of the morning.... bring back some good memories.....the smell of thinner and glue vapour.....

Keep the pics coming, I m sure that I can pick up some useful modelling tips, thanks for sharing.

Cheers
          TB

Comment

Very nice! Will be monitoring this thread as I always wanted to try this kit

Comment

Originally posted by tboltsg View Post
              Hi GF

Great way to spend away the wee hours of the morning....
              TB
              You know, how I read the intro? 'Hi Girl Friend' I SWEAR TO YOU! blame speed reading & abbreviations.

GirlFriend, the tank's looking good! Subscribing to your thread.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Dear Bros, thanks for all your compliments, they're inspiration for me NOT to let her become a half built shelf-queen.

Originally posted by nixaad View Post
                GirlFriend, the tank's looking good! Subscribing to your thread.
                Thanks, my dearest BOYfriend !

Originally posted by FooFighter View Post
                Very nice! Will be monitoring this thread as I always wanted to try this kit
                Thanks, but it was your Panther G thread which movitated this Tiger I, so credit goes to you.

Originally posted by tboltsg View Post
                Keep the pics coming, I m sure that I can pick up some useful modelling tips, thanks for sharing.
                Thanks bro, I've seen some of yours (and they FLY too !!!) looks more like I need to pick up from you !

Originally posted by remotemadness View Post
                very good explanation.. slowly my friend.. so I can catch up with the step by step..
                Don't worry, I've been known as the slowest Plamo builder during my time. (think I actually did one which took 3 years)

Comment

Didn't managed to do much between Family time, New years partying, other commitments and progress on the earlier Panzer III/SU100 so there little to post.

In the spirit of the built with FooFighter, I'm trying to keep this strictly OOB, which means no Aftermarket parts.

But the the AFV Tiger I kit includes a small fret of engine grill/AA gunsights PE parts

Multiplex's "Zacki" CA for Elapor makes excellent glue for sticking PE parts to styrene plastic, doesn't dissolves or makes the plastic brittle, doesn't "string" or "fog", doesn't runs all over the place like liquid cement/thin CA, just the right consistancy for application with the pointed end of a toothpick and most importantly, the right working time giving you lots of time to apply, place and adjust the position of the PE parts.

Done! all 4 engine grills are in place.

Another angle of the engine deck, looks great doesn't it ? (Please don't hate on me, FooFighter )

Comment

Good progress sir!

Comment

very nice.. love it..

quest
                      Life is not the amount of breath you take, it's the moment that take your breath away
                      Avant Aurora (E1)
                      Avant Aurora (E2)
                      Mcp X
                      GAUI X5

LOGO 550SX

WTS
                      JR RS77s 72MHz synthesizer $100
                      will give the buyer 2 unit of electron 6 with 72.810 pin free

Comment

Working...
                      X