Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1/48 Tamiya Panther G

I posted this in my usual hobby forum and decided to post it here to share some of the modelling techniques used and added some explanations.

I started on this kitty a few weeks back and the construction is a breeze. The only modifications I made was to:

1. Replace the handles with copper wires.
    2. Use placard for the skirt armor.
    3. Use surfacer 500 to apply some rolled steel effect on the chassis and turret.

I started with a gloss black pre-shade and continued painting only last weekend when it stopped raining. I could only do until this stage before it got dark.. (The pre-shade is to create shadows and dark areas around the tank to give it 'volume' else it will look very one dimensional)

Panther G by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Last night I continued with the paint job and managed to complete the first coat of German Yellow.

I would probably do a two color camo of an "unknown unit" so that I could have more artistic license... but this should be a late war Panther.

I think I will stop using gloss black as pre-shade next time because as a result I had to apply so many coats of German Yellow to cover them! To be honest I am not really happy with the result so far; I got better vibes when I was at a similar stage when I was doing my Puma.

Hopefully things will look better when I apply highlights to lighten the paint job. Thanks for reading, comments are welcomed

Didn't get to do any painting last night when I got home as the clouds were gathering at my place.

I ordered Panther PE engine grill set online but the status is still pending; so I decided to build my own engine grills from packaging material found on my wife's perfume.

15 minutes work to outline and cut the shape; abit out of scale for 1/48 but it's better than nothing.

Comment

I LIKE ! ...keep it coming !

...I'll start a buddy thread once I've decided "which" model !
      Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

I started on the highlights tonite; added 'sail' to 'german yellow' until I get the shade that I liked and started applying on the panther to create highlights and dark areas.

The panther looks much better compared to yesterday. Tommorrow will apply the second camo color; Green.

Thanks for reading.

Comment

very nice.. and good explanation.. I'm camping here..

I've got some question if you don't mind..

1. how do you know which part to build first before you start to paint.. and which part must paint first before assembly?

I never have good finishing when I paint first before assembly..

2. I've got problem cementing the parts together for a seamless finish.. what is your advice on this?

I'm also a member in Plamo.. I find that forum not too friendly.. You've got to be in their "group".. It's almost always only a few active people.. the rest just browsing.. Like me.. hee hee..

Anyway.. that's not the point.. I did find and read quite a bit of the tips in the tech room.. and must say that it's very good and helpful.. I'm grateful for that..

thanks
          quest
          Life is not the amount of breath you take, it's the moment that take your breath away
          Avant Aurora (E1)
          Avant Aurora (E2)
          Mcp X
          GAUI X5

LOGO 550SX

WTS
          JR RS77s 72MHz synthesizer $100
          will give the buyer 2 unit of electron 6 with 72.810 pin free

Comment

Everyone of us have our own different styles, I can see that Foofighter prefers the pre-shading technique whereas I favour the post-shading method.
            There is no right or wrong, good or bad method as long as you get the look that you desire.

my 2 cents:

1) For AFV, I usually complete the build before moving on to painting, for Aircrafts as well as AFV with interiors, it's paint, assemble, masking and then final painting. For Ships, it's mask, paint, assemble, mask, paint, assemble, mask, paint, assemble and final painting.

2) Liquid cement and learn how to use a very fine brush.

I'm at Plamo too, very nice models there but somehow I was only motivated to restart after seeing Foofighter's work here.

Comment

For tanks you can build everything on and then paint them. However with some experience you may vary your approach. For example I build my panther so that I could take the tracks and wheels out to paint separately.

As for painting styles I read what others do and experiment on my own. I do post shading too but later.

I hang around plamo most of the time. I know some of the folks through plamo gatherings and I guess it's easier to make friends when you can put a face to a nickname.

The old birds get annoyed when people don't do a search first before asking questions but that's the house rules there; self service

Comment

Applied second color to complete the camo scheme today using free hand.

Hand painted the wheels but not the tracks yet.

:P

Comment

Decals are on! Like I said earlier; it is an 'unknown unit" panther :P

Panther G "Unknown Unit" by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Comment

Quite awhile since my last update; alot of work was done intermittently and now I am almost at the finishing line:

1. The tracks were painted and weathered using Tamiya weathering stick.
                    2. Light colored paint chips added using sponge technique.
                    3. Dark colored paint chips added using sponge technique.
                    4. Rust streaks applied using oils.
                    5. Oil stains applied on engine hood and other areas that I think should have oil stains

Panther by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Cheers!

Comment

cannot tahan ah..

love it..
                      Life is not the amount of breath you take, it's the moment that take your breath away
                      Avant Aurora (E1)
                      Avant Aurora (E2)
                      Mcp X
                      GAUI X5

LOGO 550SX

WTS
                      JR RS77s 72MHz synthesizer $100
                      will give the buyer 2 unit of electron 6 with 72.810 pin free

Comment

Nice ! Nice ! ...I LIKE

I'm also bogged down ...by other projects/models
                        You know how it's like, right ? ...while waiting for the paint to cure, you open another box and start assembly, next thing you know many boxes gets open and lying around with half assembled models!

I'm no giant in Plamo, but if only you could see what you've started !

Comment

My kitty is almost done, need some minor adjustment on the weathering and a flat coat and can start doing glamor shots.. maybe ask my bro MSC to do for me... haha..

Ghostfit, if you are using airbrush then only need a few minutes for the paint to cure.. if hand paint; just borrow your wife / gf hairdryer and use the hot air to dry it.

It's ok to have some models in various stages;just make sure you know which is your main subject and should finish first.

I basecoated my AFVClub Stryker and postshaded it while taking a break from my Panther.. so my next project will be done quickly... I hope.

Thanks for ready, hopefully this weekend can do glamour shots :P

Comment

I applied flat coat with buff last night and other than some minor changes; I would call this a wrap..

Glamor (home) studio shots will be done this weekend :P

Comment

Hi everyone. It's been fun and engaging doing this little project without having to stick to rules and convention since this is an "unknown unit".

The colors are airbrushed using lacquer and the fine details (tools and paint chips) handpainted using acrylics. Oils are used for filters and streaking.

Here are the pictures.

Overview

Panther 010-1 by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Some Closeups

Panther 021 by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Panther 012-1 by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Panther 017-1 by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Panther 021-1 by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Panther 026-1 by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Panther 027-1 by Sprigaan, on Flickr

Last Picture

Panther 030-1 by Sprigaan, on Flickr