Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY foam cutter (hot wire cutter)

Hi everyone! Any ideal I can DIY a foam cutter with using our own 2-cell lipo battery?.....

Originally posted by tonywang View Post
    Hi everyone! Any ideal I can DIY a foam cutter with using our own 2-cell lipo battery?.....
    You can.

You'll need to add a potentiometer in series with the wire so you can adjust the current.

You'll also need to have a way to monitor your lipo voltage so it doesn't drop too low.

Comment

DIY foam cutter

Ok bro thanks for the info! Is it the potentiometer as a variable resistor type or light dimmer?

Originally posted by cirrc View Post
      You can.

You'll need to add a potentiometer in series with the wire so you can adjust the current.

You'll also need to have a way to monitor your lipo voltage so it doesn't drop too low.

Comment

i haven't done it before but i think both can be used
        "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

You can hook up a lipo-safe ESC for brushed motor, along with a servo tester. With such configuration, it'll protect your lipo against excessive current draw and over-discharged. Add a fuse to protect against shorting, if desired.

Comment

Hot wire cutter

Ok if I use the esc 18a & servo tester & a AC 13a fuse but how to link on the hot wire? If so the configuration is it ok?

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
            You can hook up a lipo-safe ESC for brushed motor, along with a servo tester. With such configuration, it'll protect your lipo against excessive current draw and over-discharged. Add a fuse to protect against shorting, if desired.

Comment

Simply connect the leads from te hot wire cutter to the 2 'motor' terminal wires on the ESC. Connect the fuse in series with the positive wire between the ESC and the battery.

Comment

DIY hot wire cutter

Thanks for info bro Joe! But I still can't get it!... How bout the servo tester? Is it to control the esc output current?....

Simply connect the leads from te hot wire cutter to the 2 'motor' terminal wires on the ESC. Connect the fuse in series with the positive wire between the ESC and the battery.

Comment

Connect the servo tester to the ESC, just like what you'll do for the receiver. The servo tester does the job of the receiver by sending throttle inputs to the ESC. So you'll control the output voltage comming out of the ESC, through the servo tester.

In short, the circuit is the same as you'll do for an RC aircraft setup, except that the receiver being substituted by he servo tester, and the motor by the hotwire cutter.

Comment

DIY hot wire cutter

Ok thanks again bro Joe! I will put up some photos about my DIY project. Everything have been done n waiting to test it tomorrow night. Thanks again.

Connect the servo tester to the ESC, just like what you'll do for the receiver. The servo tester does the job of the receiver by sending throttle inputs to the ESC. So you'll control the output voltage comming out of the ESC, through the servo tester.

In short, the circuit is the same as you'll do for an RC aircraft setup, except that the receiver being substituted by he servo tester, and the motor by the hotwire cutter.

Comment

DIY hot wire cutter...

Bro joe!

Help needed again.

The sequence is batt 3s --- fuse at positive ---then esc positive supply.
                      --- negative link to esc negative supply.
                      As for output is link to hot wire guitar string 'G node'.

As for voltage reading I use lipo batt monitor

Still nothing happen!!!!... I check on the hot wire but nothing happen. So anyone can help?......

Originally posted by tonywang View Post
                      Ok thanks again bro Joe! I will put up some photos about my DIY project. Everything have been done n waiting to test it tomorrow night. Thanks again.

Comment

Where is your servo tester? You have to hook it up to provide the "throttle" signal to the ESC.

There is another group of 3 wires from the ESC that usually goes to the throttle channel of the receiver. Connect this group of wires to your servo tester...

Without any throttle signal to the ESC, it probably went into fail-safe and therefore no output to the hot wire. My guess.
                        ------------------------------
                        Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
                        NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

DIY hot wire cutter

Oops I forgot to mentioned that I also connect the esc signal to the servo tester but still nothing happen!...
                          But my servo tester show indicator at neutral (turnigy) so I turn it left n right still nothing happen n only my esc got some beeping sound. Is it that the tester need another supply source?... Or any other problem?....

Originally posted by foxkilo View Post
                          Where is your servo tester? You have to hook it up to provide the "throttle" signal to the ESC.

There is another group of 3 wires from the ESC that usually goes to the throttle channel of the receiver. Connect this group of wires to your servo tester...

Without any throttle signal to the ESC, it probably went into fail-safe and therefore no output to the hot wire. My guess.

Comment

You need to start your ESC with the servo tester at the lowest setting first. Then turn the servo tester to full setting to register the 'full throttle' signal and bring it back to the lowest setting again.

Only after that, the ESC will be armed.

In your case, your ESC has gone to failsafe mode when you start at neutral setting. Don't forget, turnigy servo tester has 3 modes: manual, neutral and Auto. Be sure that you set it at manual mode or you'll not have any control at all.

Comment

DIY Hot Wire Cutter

As per promised! I attached the photos n diagram. Hope everyone can come and DIY. B'cos it is interesting.

You need to start your ESC with the servo tester at the lowest setting first. Then turn the servo tester to full setting to register the 'full throttle' signal and bring it back to the lowest setting again.

Only after that, the ESC will be armed.

In your case, your ESC has gone to failsafe mode when you start at neutral setting. Don't forget, turnigy servo tester has 3 modes: manual, neutral and Auto. Be sure that you set it at manual mode or you'll not have any control at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X