Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Model Train

Anyone into model train? Such as those by Bachmann, Lionel, Markin, etc.

Hi,
    I used to play HO model train back to few yrs ago. Now planing to sell off as I don't have time to play. If u keen, u can drop me a call @ 96971486. I can mms the photo.
    Thks

Comment

I am to get some idea if there are enough people to form a group. It seems that this is not the case. I am putting together a HO scale set for my kid.

Comment

Hi, I am into trains too - have various gauges including N, HO/OO and even some LGB garden scale. There is a small community of model trains people here but most are a private lot, in small groups. Many are just collectors as they either don't have the time or space to construct a layout. Staying in a flat, I don't have a layout and use a small oval test track to periodically "exercise" my engines. Of course, modular layout is one solution but haven't got the time to do so. Getting approval from the home "LTA" is another big huddle.

If you are just building a simple layout for your kids, should be quite straight forward. But if you are going into it big, be forewarned that this is a very addictive and costly stuff, especially if you go digital control and have engines with literally all the bells and whistles. The sound-fitted engines have raised the level of realism to a new height.

Cheers.

Comment

I will probably stay with HO gauge since there are a lot of choices and accessories out there. It is probably a right size of the table top layout. I am not sure about modular, but it sounds like a good way to go.

I am well aware of the cost involved. A good loco with DCC and sound easily costs US$300 and more, and I am starting out Bachmann set with a DCC on board first. Is there hobby shop specialize in train stuff? I really don't want to keep buying from US.

Comment

Hi gpsnut,

HO is a very good gauge. I started with N in my younger days when eyesight is not an issue - you need it to see the details! N is great for running long trains in a realistic manner because you get about 4 times more operating area than HO. However, it just don't have the shiok heavy feel of HO and generally run a little less smooth than HO although I must say that some of my N engines from Kato, Atlas, Fleishmann and Minitrix are just as smooth - especially if they are fitted with flywheels.

But because HO is bigger, you also get great details. For steam engines, many of the pipes are individually applied while they tend to be moulded in N. Since N engines cost just as much as HO (even though they are smaller), HO gives better value. Another important point - if you are serious about DCC, HO is easier to retrofit if you have older non-DCC. But I have also seen some wonderful DCC N scale engines, even fitted with sound.

Bachmann makes good engines even though they are made in China. In fact, many of today's model trains are made in China although some Marklin and other German brand collectors are strongly against buying China-made stuff. If you have a chance to look at the new Hornby stuff (yes, made in China), they are very detailed and smooth running - in fact many times better than when Hornby was made in Great Britain.

As for buying model trains, there are only a few shops locally. You probably can get Hornby and some German stuff such as Fleishmann. Used to have a Marklin shop in Orchard but they have closed (super expensive). If you are into American engines, I don't recall anyone selling them here. For American HO, they have some great stuff from Kato USA and Atlas.

But I generally avoid buying here because their prices are much higher compared to overseas. I used to mail-order a lot years ago (especially the smaller N scale) but then the shipping cost was also much lower. In recent times, the shipping cost from US, England and other countries has increased significantly - so I am not sure whether it is still much cheaper to order from overseas. Your best option is to buy while on holidays there. Anyway, I have more engines than I can handle and am more interested in converting the older models to DCC.

Best wishes for your layout. Cheers.

Comment

My dad's hobby

Post all pictures and videos here. Alternatively, you can upload pictures and videos at the Photo Gallery.
              Losers whine about their best. Winners date the Prom Queen.

Most people talk a lot, only few are up for the moment.

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
              20,000 times a min

Comment

Well. After watching those pictures and reading the comments, I had decided to dive into the model train. In fact, I have unknowingly exceeded my initial budget. There will be a layout in my home.

Comment

please show us more pictures

Comment

Post some pics of your layout when you have started!!!
                    Losers whine about their best. Winners date the Prom Queen.

Most people talk a lot, only few are up for the moment.

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
                    20,000 times a min

Comment

Originally posted by preferscale View Post
                      Hi, I am into trains too - have various gauges including N, HO/OO and even some LGB garden scale. There is a small community of model trains people here but most are a private lot, in small groups. Many are just collectors as they either don't have the time or space to construct a layout. Staying in a flat, I don't have a layout and use a small oval test track to periodically "exercise" my engines. Of course, modular layout is one solution but haven't got the time to do so. Getting approval from the home "LTA" is another big huddle.

If you are just building a simple layout for your kids, should be quite straight forward. But if you are going into it big, be forewarned that this is a very addictive and costly stuff, especially if you go digital control and have engines with literally all the bells and whistles. The sound-fitted engines have raised the level of realism to a new height.

Cheers.
                      Hi, my first time here. I'm also into model trains. Currently owns a set of G scale, though not LGB as their price are really high. I've got Aristo Craft instead, as I am more into American Freight trains. Like you, I stay in HDB flat, hence not a lot space to have a layout. Instead, occasionally, I will setup the oval track for the trains to "exercise". Another thigh that I don't like about LGB is that they pick up power from the track via only 2 pickup shoe, which might experience intermitent power. For the Aristo Craft, the power pickup is via all the truck wheels. Hence for my loco, at anytime I have 4 contacts on each side of the track.

Comment

Originally posted by gpsnuts View Post
                        I am to get some idea if there are enough people to form a group. It seems that this is not the case. I am putting together a HO scale set for my kid.
                        HO is nice, though for me, my 虚荣心 gets the better of me :p

Comment

HTML Code:
                          Hi, my first time here. I'm also into model trains. Currently owns a set of G scale, though not LGB as their price are really high. I've got Aristo Craft instead, as I am more into American Freight trains. Like you, I stay in HDB flat, hence not a lot space to have a layout. Instead, occasionally, I will setup the oval track for the trains to "exercise". Another thigh that I don't like about LGB is that they pick up power from the track via only 2 pickup shoe, which might experience intermitent power. For the Aristo Craft, the power pickup is via all the truck wheels. Hence for my loco, at anytime I have 4 contacts on each side of the track.
                          My LGB engines run great - don't think the power pick-up is only via the 2 shoes. Agreed they are expensive but quality is solid. Anyway, after buying a few, decided that's enough. Pride of the fleet is a red Austrian diesel. Sound effects very loud and shiok but can run only when wife is not in. My sons enjoy playing with the wagons because of operating features - something not usually available in HO.

Comment

Originally posted by diwya2525
                            I would like to start a model train set. I would like to know where i can start and where i can find trains/layout/tracks and general costs.
                            Hi Folks,
                            I'm selling my used Marklin HO Starter sets include alot of accessories....
                            Rail tracks, 2 wagons with lighting (passenger car) and so on.........
                            Selling @ S$400neg. Pls sms/call if u r keen @ 96971486.
                            I can mms or email u the photo as I don't have any idea how to download.
                            Viewing can b arrange as well.
                            Thks.......

Comment

Originally posted by preferscale View Post
                              HTML Code:
                              My LGB engines run great - don't think the power pick-up is only via the 2 shoes. Agreed they are expensive but quality is solid. Anyway, after buying a few, decided that's enough. Pride of the fleet is a red Austrian diesel. Sound effects very loud and shiok but can run only when wife is not in. My sons enjoy playing with the wagons because of operating features - something not usually available in HO.
                              Glad to know that there works well with 2 shoe. Can check with you, how often do you let your train runs? For mine, its been like more than half years ago...

Comment

Working...
                              X