Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wing-In-Ground effect vehicles

Have been rather intrigued by Wing-in-Ground effect (WIG) vehicles after watching some of the videos on youtube. They look rather similar to seaplanes with relatively shorter wingspans - very much like the pod racers we see in Star-Wars.

With regard to the principle of lift, can anyone explain the difference between low flying airplanes and these WIG vehicles? As mentioned in one of the videos, the air trapped under the wing bounces back and fourth between the underside of the wing and the ground surface creating this cushion of air that induces lift. Since this principle defers from the bernoulli principle, is this lift sustainable at higher altitudes?

Looks like an interesting project to work on.
    Irony = displaying enough parking coupons on your dashboard but getting fined for littering when you throw the stubs on the floor

This "Wing in Ground" effect already being used in real aircraft by Soviets

"When the aircraft is close to the surface, the almost cylindrical vortex-induced circulation around the wing outside ground effect is modified by coming into contact with the surface. This flattens the cylindrical circulation pattern as well as reducing the downflow angle of the airflow behind the wing. The flattening on the circulation pattern spreads the pattern outwards below the wing, thus increasing both the effective span of the wing and its aerodynamic aspect ratio. "

Can read more in:

Comment

Saw a single seater craft parked in Science center carpark 2 years ago. Something like this http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...craft-l325.jpg

This will make a good project http://www.c74.net/xplane/AADxSEAWIN...071013_640.jpg
      Share the joy of flying . . .

Comment

Some of them even modified their hovercraft to achieve the WIG effect. Cool stuff!

Universal Hovercraft is proud to offer the UH-19XRW Hoverwing™ ground-effect vehicle for industrial, commercial and military sales. It is available to our cu...
        Irony = displaying enough parking coupons on your dashboard but getting fined for littering when you throw the stubs on the floor

Comment

Yup, but the big problem with WIG craft, life-size or RC model, is that the ground/water must be mostly flat with few obstacles. Not sure how a WIG would perform in rough weather and tall waves??
          ------------------------------
          Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
          NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Gentlemen,
            The ground effect is explained here.....
            Happy viewing
            Now we know that scientist do when they are bored!

John Schuster is a very gifted aerospace engineer who happens to be a big kid at heart.
            Planes: Cap21, Northrop F5E, MK Kingbird, MK Curare, Elster, Jazz60, SouthernX, Zoom 4D

Comment

wow, bots really are getting smarter, eh?

Looks interesting, these things.

But, but, if we overpower them, won't they just end up flying like any other weird shaped aircraft that we see?

I think the key thing is for them to be propelled, for them to utilize ground effect but not enough for them to actually fly....

I mean, even toilet bowl can fly nowadays....
              "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Super-Hornet View Post
                This "Wing in Ground" effect already being used in real aircraft by Soviets

"When the aircraft is close to the surface, the almost cylindrical vortex-induced circulation around the wing outside ground effect is modified by coming into contact with the surface. This flattens the cylindrical circulation pattern as well as reducing the downflow angle of the airflow behind the wing. The flattening on the circulation pattern spreads the pattern outwards below the wing, thus increasing both the effective span of the wing and its aerodynamic aspect ratio. "

Can read more in:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_...%28aircraft%29
                theres more info on the Ekranoplan here

Comment

Spore science center has one but never display to the public. You can see it between science center and omni theatre. It is a small one for 2-3 seater.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackite207 View Post
                    Gentlemen,
                    The ground effect is explained here.....
                    Happy viewing
                    Now we know that scientist do when they are bored!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9sHtVzdW8Q
                    Very nice. Thanks for sharing this video. understand the concept a little better now. Prolly can try building one such models and add a pusher motor up on top. May be quite a fun project to work on. Wonder how to balance the model though. Do we still use the same principle of 1/3 wing from LE?

Comment

John, you may want to look at RCgroups website, under the RC Hovercraft section. They have some posting on WIG (also known as Ekranoplan). You may find them interesting.

I could be wrong here but I was told that SAF Yacht Club, in Tanah Merah, has a WIG. A working one, not RC model. Can someone correct me, if I am wrong.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by yongsinchee View Post
                        John, you may want to look at RCgroups website, under the RC Hovercraft section. They have some posting on WIG (also known as Ekranoplan). You may find them interesting.

I could be wrong here but I was told that SAF Yacht Club, in Tanah Merah, has a WIG. A working one, not RC model. Can someone correct me, if I am wrong.

Hope this helps.
                        Thanks mate!

Comment

Yup, there is a working full size prototype at SAF Yacht club, changi. It's in a tarpaulin covered hanger at the slipway area between the club and the naval base mess. U can just walk in and take a look. The company undertaking the project is called WigetWorks.

Comment

Working...
                          X