Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scale flying

I am learning to fly the mini titan and would like to go towards the scale direction.
    I would be adding weight on the flybar, with stock white colour paddles. How about changing to a softer damper and reducing the rotor rpm? Any idea how to do it and is it advisable. I am thinking of adding the equivalent scale fuselage weight to the MT too, so that it will fly almost the same when I am ready to put on the fuselage. Does this make any sense?

Frankly speaking, for scale like flying, only 500size and above able to achieve the kind of scale flying. For 450size, only in no wind condition then it will be able to fly like scale. Otherwise its a constant fighting with the tx stick to keep the heli in one place.

With 600size/50size or 90size, u will be able to do rock solid hovering even in slightly wind condition. Scale flying involves lots of stationary maneuvers, so a heli that is able to perform slow precise flying excels in this aspect.

For example.........take landing a heli on a heli pad.

Ur heli will need to approach the landing pad either from ur left, right or centre at a slow speed and gradual descending altitude. About 1-1.5m height off the heli pad and abt 2m away, u will need to flar(not sure the right spelling) the heli to kill off excess speed. Then land on the heli pad. For those heli wif retracts, u will need to activate it before flarring the heli. It is something like those acrobatics heli flyers performing auto-rotation.

From my experience, only 600size heli can do such maneuver in the outdoors. I have 450size, 500size and 600size helis.

Just my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cklasse View Post
      I am learning to fly the mini titan and would like to go towards the scale direction.
      I would be adding weight on the flybar, with stock white colour paddles. How about changing to a softer damper and reducing the rotor rpm? Any idea how to do it and is it advisable. I am thinking of adding the equivalent scale fuselage weight to the MT too, so that it will fly almost the same when I am ready to put on the fuselage. Does this make any sense?
      There is nothing wrong in using 450 size to do scale. U may not able to do some scale maneuvers like landing approach (I tried many times on my 450 size...I would say difficult to not possible). If u already have 450 and U want to make it to scale, that has a good approach in its way because U can start learning it on whatever u have...and once u feel comfortable in scale, u can then decide on whether to go bigger size scale instead.

Adding weight to flybar, softer dampers with lower RPM do help in making the heli fly more scale like. Do remember that once u go for scale...and depend on what fuseslage u using, it may end up to be quite heavy and that required you to spin higher RPM in order to have lifting power and tail authority. Higher RPM thing, also depend on whether u are doing the 2 bladed scale or multibladed scale also. Generally, in multibladed, spinning lower RPM tend to perform more scale and u also gain higher lift by having more blades.

SH

Comment

Originally posted by Super-Hornet View Post
        There is nothing wrong in using 450 size to do scale. U may not able to do some scale maneuvers like landing approach (I tried many times on my 450 size...I would say difficult to not possible). If u already have 450 and U want to make it to scale, that has a good approach in its way because U can start learning it on whatever u have...and once u feel comfortable in scale, u can then decide on whether to go bigger size scale instead.

Adding weight to flybar, softer dampers with lower RPM do help in making the heli fly more scale like. Do remember that once u go for scale...and depend on what fuseslage u using, it may end up to be quite heavy and that required you to spin higher RPM in order to have lifting power and tail authority. Higher RPM thing, also depend on whether u are doing the 2 bladed scale or multibladed scale also. Generally, in multibladed, spinning lower RPM tend to perform more scale and u also gain higher lift by having more blades.

SH
        well said

Comment

Just want to share my little and short experience with 450 scale.

here's what you need before you dressed up your heli with fuselage.

-add flybar weights if you are using flybarred heli
          -use high torque cyclic and tail servos
          -use ESC with governor mode. (constant rpm is efficient/required for scale flying)
          -experiment on you radio's Dual Rated and Expo (in my experience, lower and smoother dr & expo makes 450 scale behave smoothly)
          -CG should be dead center at your main rotor shaft.
          -eliminate high and low frequency vibrations. (balancing the blades and swash plate will help a lot)

You can set your heli to this setup first and practice your flying skills.
          You may want add the dummy weights as long as you put everything balanced.
          Yes, don't fly in a windy condition it will disappoint you or you may end up crashing the heli.
          Agree with the Super-Hornet multibladed scale flies great. You just need to get a flybarless system though.

Good luck! Happy scale flying

Comment

Working...
          X