Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Electric Motor and ESC Selection

Hi,

Would like to seek any assistance on what electric motor and esc to be used with the Scale 4-Blade 11 X 10 Variable Pitch Prop or the Scale 4-Blade 9-1/2 X 10 Variable Pitch Prop found here at: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/scale_4_b...18582_prd1.htm

Appreciate your help on this. I am totally screwed as far as electric power system is concern

Thanks and regards

Henry

No inputs? Any suggestion welcome as I am trying out electric power the first time lah..

This prop is meant for a 100" C-130 Hercules I'm building now and I'm not sure what motor would suit the prop.

Appreciate any advise.

Thanks

Henry

Comment

Turnigy 35-48-C 800kv Brushless Outrunner

can be found at H.K.

power equivalent of a .30~.35 engine.

4 blade 11x10 = 2 blade 12x11 (IIRC)

on 4S will pull roughly 2.4kg and use roughly 35 amps. You might want to get a 40 amp ESC or higher.

Not only that, 1 motor = 1 ESC. 4 motors for C130 = 4 x ESCs.

By the way, if your plane is not that heavy, you can use 2 very good motors and then the other 2 'motors' are fake with scale props that just free wheel. (just an option).
      Relax and Enjoy The Hobby.
      Note to self: Must stop buying too much stuff.

Comment

if you buying the motor online, can email them before purchase. plus ask them what ESC is suitable.

if you buying motor locally, ask the shopkeeper.

Comment

Hmmm, I think the HK shop also sell the motors as a package. Just check out the Towerpro combo tab.
          Did you know that dolphins are so intelligent that within only a few weeks of captivity, they can train humans to stand at the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Comment

Thank you Gentlemen, I will search the motor and esc you recommended. Now I can really start the building liao as I nearly went the glow power way.
            Appreciate the advise guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Viper View Post
              Thank you Gentlemen, I will search the motor and esc you recommended. Now I can really start the building liao as I nearly went the glow power way.
              Appreciate the advise guys.
              actually, the HC or HK website will helpfully put down the glow equivalent. like xx battery power is about a .25 engine. They also group the motors in engine sizes for easy selection.

so if your plane's manual had a glow engine recommend, search motors that match the power needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Chen View Post
                actually, the HC or HK website will helpfully put down the glow equivalent. like xx battery power is about a .25 engine. They also group the motors in engine sizes for easy selection.

so if your plane's manual had a glow engine recommend, search motors that match the power needed.
                Hi Jack,

Thanks a lot, I will visit HC or HK to source around. Feel like going back to my initial days of starting R/C again, Electric is a whole brand new thing to me.

BTW, as you mentioned earlier, 4 motors requires 4 ESC. Any idea if a twin motor ESC x 2 pieces will work on the C-130 setup? I can go the 4 ESC route, just wanna explore any other ways to setup. Plane should be in the range of 5-7 kg, depending on whether I want to make the ramp operational and scale retracts included.

Thanks for the advise

Henry

Comment

Originally posted by Viper View Post
                  BTW, as you mentioned earlier, 4 motors requires 4 ESC. Any idea if a twin motor ESC x 2 pieces will work on the C-130 setup? I can go the 4 ESC route, just wanna explore any other ways to setup.
                  I have never heard of a twin motor ESC. Is it a new product? Is it used for RC Cars?

I am refering to RC Plane Brushless motors ESC here. They are programmed differently.

1 ESC must be matched with a 1 motor. I have a GWS C-130 which I want to match with brushless motors and the fact that I have to buy 4 sets of motor/esc combos for it is a significant investment and wiring nightmare. I am also just looking around to see if there are bundle bargains.

The C-130 you are building, any clues on where you got the plans from or manufacturer? It's hard for the forum guys to help you without technical specifications or even a brand name to refer.

Scratchbuilders, for instance, usually build with the end in mind, so they know what they need before building.

If you know at least the engine size requirement + prop size -> you can find a matching motor -> you can then find the correct battery to power it -> then you can find the correct ESC to match that power requirement.

And all 3 - battery, motor, esc (powerplant) is going to cost a pretty penny seeing it's a 100 inch C-130. Unless you are talking about 100 inch foamy here.

Comment

I have never heard of a twin motor ESC. Is it a new product? Is it used for RC Cars?

I am refering to RC Plane Brushless motors ESC here. They are programmed differently.

1 ESC must be matched with a 1 motor. I have a GWS C-130 which I want to match with brushless motors and the fact that I have to buy 4 sets of motor/esc combos for it is a significant investment and wiring nightmare. I am also just looking around to see if there are bundle bargains.

The C-130 you are building, any clues on where you got the plans from or manufacturer? It's hard for the forum guys to help you without technical specifications or even a brand name to refer.

Scratchbuilders, for instance, usually build with the end in mind, so they know what they need before building.

If you know at least the engine size requirement + prop size -> you can find a matching motor -> you can then find the correct battery to power it -> then you can find the correct ESC to match that power requirement.

And all 3 - battery, motor, esc (powerplant) is going to cost a pretty penny seeing it's a 100 inch C-130. Unless you are talking about 100 inch foamy here.
                    Hi Jack,

Yes the twin ESC is for cars, and I have been told that it should not work properly. Anyway I will use 4 ESCs for a start. I am placing my orders for the motors for HC soon plus the 60ampms ESCs.

The C-130 is from ASM that comes in the US Coast Guard colour but I'm intending to change the colour scheme. The fuselage is fibergalss and the wings and stabs are balsa sheeted foam cores. I have stripped the wings and stabs to glass them using extremely light glass cloth.

Wingspan is 100" (2.5m) while the fuselage is about 72" long I think. Not going to construct the ramp at this moment and also the retracts will be on hold as I want to gather the weight first beofre adding the retracts and other scale details.

Targeting to complete it for RCS 2010

Thanks & rgds
                    Henry

Comment

the ASM C-130? That's 1/15th scale and it's no small bird.

Would love to see you maiden the plane.

Did a small search and apparently a number of RC flyers in US have tried the electric conversion way. Further more using well known HKG supplier - HK.

wow, you can probably put an RC 1/25 size tank into the plane and air drop it.

Comment

the ASM C-130? That's 1/15th scale and it's no small bird.

Would love to see you maiden the plane.

Did a small search and apparently a number of RC flyers in US have tried the electric conversion way. Further more using well known HKG supplier - HK.

wow, you can probably put an RC 1/25 size tank into the plane and air drop it.
                        Hi Jack,

Yes its 1/15th scale with a wingspan of 100". I have contemplated building the ramp but due to the fuselage is being made of carbon reinforced plastic, I reckon it will be very hard to keep the fuselage ramp area in shape unless balsa is being used to hold the basic shape first.

Just want to build the herc in stock first and see how it performs on electric motors, then detail it up subsequently.

I used to have a 144" wingspan hercules using 4 x 155 4-strokes engines but its too huge to lugg it around, and eventually sold it to my Indonesian flying friend.

Hope to finish the ASM by April.......

Brgds
                        Henry

Comment

Working...
                        X