Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use to do a bit of golfing and customising of my golfing equipment.
    ...some CF golf shafts are pretty light and seems suitable too.

I think golfing pro shops are easier to find than Archery shops.
    Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Fuselage

Continuing with the build, I started on the fuselage by making some modifications. The plans shows a rather squarish looking cross section, except for the nose! Since I like my gliders to be curvy and a little bit more sexy looking, I decided to use the same profile, but build up the side walls with 1/4" balsa so that I will be able to carve and sand it down later.
      The inside vertical wall was strengthened with CF tow and CA. I forsee that I will be sanding the sides thinly, it is better to strengthen it. The formers were cut and the holes for the boom was drilled and sanded to a good fit for the boom. To provide support for the boom, additional fillet between the 2 ply formers F4 and F5 were fitted at the bottom side of the fuselage.
      The insides of the fuselage were filled with balsa fillets so that the corners will be able to be sanded round from the outside later.
      The nose of the fuselage was formed with some scrap pieces of 1/4" balsa and glued to the fuselage.
      The fuselage is half done and awaiting to be carved and sanded to the intended sexy shape ........one of my favorite activities

Comment

You really like this carbon strip thing huh?

I am still using spruce and plywood for strength.

Hey, I just started a new project - the JART. Will post when I am free.

Comment

I am using the Carbon tow on almost all the surface of the glider
          Have you decided which slope in England that you will be flying the Jart?

Comment

Update

I have done little work on the glider over the weekend. The original pod was made of 1/16 balsa, I used 1/4 so that I could carve it into shape. Well, after much carving and sanding the sides and breaking some of the corner joints with over-sanding, the result was a fat banana shaped fuselage.
            After sanding, the walls in some areas of the pod is very thin, I could see some light through the walls when I hold up the pod. I will not be glassing the pod to save weight, just iron on covering later.
            The vertical and horizontal fins were stiffened up with some CF tow to give it some rigidity. The next steps will be covering all the parts with Oracover lite. On hand, I have red and purple, I used red for the bug, I think I will use purple for the QFII

Comment

Originally posted by msc View Post
              I am using the Carbon tow on almost all the surface of the glider
              Have you decided which slope in England that you will be flying the Jart?
              The nearest slopes in England is 2 hours drive from London! I am having so much thoughts about driving that I decided to do the practical solution - power the Jart!

I've started the drawing on 2 mahjong sheet a 64" wing-span and 44" fuselage. Fuselage almost completed - no time to post - been very busy.

Comment

You may be the first to put a motor on the Jart! Let's see how it flies.
                Unfortunately for me, company travels had taken me away from my QFII build. The wings, tails and fuselage are still in the uncompleted stage...

Comment

Covering

Whao....due to the very busy commitments and travels, I have not touched the half-complete glider for many weeks. I was in Changshu the week after the solar eclipse. The folks there told me that it was raining on that day, but they experienced total darkness for about 10mins in the morning. According to them, it was just like night!
                  Well, I had some time yesterday afternoon, due to post-National day off-in-lieu.

I quickly took the opportunity to cover the wings, tails and fuselage. Started with the wings first. I had a new roll of Purple color Oracover lite, and decide to use it before the expiry date sets in. There were 4 panels prepared for the covering. Started with the Bottom of 1 side and then the Top. I did not separate the tips covering like in the previous build. With the Oracover, it was very easy to cover the entire panel in one go.
                  Next, the tails - No issues here.

The fuselage was covered with White color Lightex. With high heat, the small curvature of the fuselage was able to be done with 2 sheets of covering. There was an overlap at the bottom of the fuselage, it was not very obvious. The canopy hatch was covered with a scrap piece of Sky blue Lightex leftover from previous build.

All the parts are covered and ready for assembly of the boom and the controls. Hopefully, I can complete the build soon. I am due for more travels next week, if not earlier

I have not forgotten about the great DLG/HLG meet-up yet!

MS

Comment

Final assembly!

Just came back from Changshu, out of touch for more than 2 weeks!
                    One consolation was that I got back 2 ARF planes back with me....an SU-26 and another 2m glider, called the P-5A.

Well, back to the build. I took both the vertical and horizontal tails and glued them onto the boom. When the boom with the fixed tails are cured, I fit it to the fuselage. For good alignment, I assemble the wings to the fuselage first, using this as reference, then assemble the boom to the fuselage.
                    The 2 servos were then CAed into the fuselage, followed by the push rods. I used 0.6mm carbon rod with thin piano wires are the servo and control horns side. I did not take pictures during the assembly as I was busy with all the assembly work. Finally, I completed all the necessary assembly at 2am last night
                    This morning, I checked all controls and made some touch up here and there. Noticed that I balanced the opposite side of the wing with blue tack to counter the weight of the throwing peg. Just a reminder for those who intend to build a DLG, to pre-balance the wings with the throwing peg with some weights.
                    To hold the canopy hatch, I just use a piece of mylar and push it to the widest section of the fuselage......simple and easy. The best part....it works!!

If not because of the rain, I could have done some test glides. For now, I'll have to wait for another sunny day

Stay tune folks, for the maiden flight report.

Gentleman with DLG, may we organize for the great DLG meet-up soon?

MS

Comment

its finally finished!

We were all waiting for you. haha.

Love the purple wings and sharp pointed nose, just becareful when you do hand catches.

Whats a good place to meet up? BR field, tampines, punggol?
                      what's next?

Comment

More pictures

more pics.

Comment

Simple project, but took me donkey years to finish
                          What about next weekend, any where in the east will be ok.....DLG! DLG! DLG!

Originally posted by Mazon View Post
                          its finally finished!

We were all waiting for you. haha.

Love the purple wings and sharp pointed nose, just becareful when you do hand catches.

Whats a good place to meet up? BR field, tampines, punggol?

Comment

BR, BR BR hehehe.

Cheers,
                            Adnan
                            Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
                            ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
                            Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

Yo Kah Marn,

You maidened this beauty already?

Cheers,
                              Adnan
                              Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
                              ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
                              Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MeePokMan View Post
                                The nearest slopes in England is 2 hours drive from London!
                                I used to fly on a slope called Hogsback in Guildford, when I was a student at Surrey University. This was 27 years ago! Dunno if its still accessible. Its about 35 minutes Southbound by fast train from Victoria St. I recall that it was a decent slope to fly from. You have to watch out for the cow pats and never try to straddle an electrified cow fence. The juice comes in pulses. Not a good thing to happen when you are just halfway across and straddling the wire when the pulse comes. Don't ask me how I found out LOL.
                                To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

Comment

Working...
                                X