Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haha, sherline can be used to do a lot of things... if in good hands...

also, i have been pretty busy lately, machine is left there untouched for quite while already.

The things i cut are usually larger pieces of G10, so router maybe a better choice.

if there is somebody who offers a good price, i'll probably sell it off first. When i need to do machining again, i'll consider another machine.

Btw, what kind of work do you have that requires real machining?

Comment

Originally posted by genexis View Post
      haha, sherline can be used to do a lot of things... if in good hands...

also, i have been pretty busy lately, machine is left there untouched for quite while already.

The things i cut are usually larger pieces of G10, so router maybe a better choice.

if there is somebody who offers a good price, i'll probably sell it off first. When i need to do machining again, i'll consider another machine.

i think you better keep your sherline mill just in case you need to cut alu.

hardly any DIY machines could do that,they are just not rigid enough.

Comment

Originally posted by genexis View Post
        I'm building one to aid in my learning of electronics. Just like to learn and this seems pretty much involved with a wide range of disciplines. Frankly, I know nuts. I do loans for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by flye View Post
          hardly any DIY machines could do that,they are just not rigid enough.
          I would keep the sherlin and build a routing machine if I've one. There were reports of DIY machines cutting aluminium successfully in cnczone. Just read a post in V90 yahoo group that one fella actually did it with his V90 (wooden machine) with shallow passes.

Comment

Originally posted by Wongster View Post
            I'm building one to aid in my learning of electronics. Just like to learn and this seems pretty much involved with a wide range of disciplines. Frankly, I know nuts. I do loans for a living.
            hmmm... to which level do you want to do? are you buying your own components and solder yourself?

or buying off the self drivers and breakout board. If so i could recommend you some good places to get your electronics stuff cheap.

yeah you could probably cut alu with a very shallow cut. But with serious milling it's a different story.

it's very difficult to hold a 1kw motor on top of a gantry and avoid vibration till it falls apart with the overhang of this design, that's why most commercial milling machines have stationary spindle motor and the workpiece is moving instead of the other way around like the sherline.

anyway i'm going kelantan lane to source for some materials. Hope to get sizes closes to my design as possible. Hate to cut to size myself.

Comment

opps i mean the sherline has got the stationary spindle motor....

how do i edit my own post??

Comment

Price of ALU 6061 had increased a few fold over the years.

I used to pay say $12 for a pc of thickness 4mm x A4 size 6061 alu sheet. Nw probably at range of $24.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by HZM View Post
                  Price of ALU 6061 had increased a few fold over the years.

I used to pay say $12 for a pc of thickness 4mm x A4 size 6061 alu sheet. Nw probably at range of $24.

Mike
                  Wah not cheap man. One shld measure thrice, then cut once. If not drill/cut wrong place then its a big KNN. That's what I'm afraid of.

Comment

sometime even after countless check, we still fail to see the most obvious error till we start cutting.

but the satisfaction is always waiting.

Its a Great day, lets fly, crawl, and fight.

XRB SR Lama
                    Robotis Bioloid
                    Robot Bear

<a href="http://asherong.sg">http://asherong.sg</a>

Comment

phew.. hot day man... just came back from kelantan lane.

bought some 1/2" x 4" x 300mm alu from a shop there.

cost me $12 each. The surface is atrocious, full of scratches! didn't notice it when they cut it. now i don't know how to remove the scratches.

tried another shop, this time bought a 450mm flat bar, cost $18.

better quality. learn my lesson, next time better check before asking them to cut.

Comment

Greetings, A good rigid machine is what that help to achieve an accurate and high quality part. Careful planning is the key to a good cut. A part has many faces. You have to decide which to cut first and what next.

Comment

Okay, my gantry is up. Now i wonder should i separate the Y axis (work piece move) or connect it to the gantry (work piece stationary).

And any idea where to buy 6mm alu plates? i want to make the base next.

soon lian is too far for me.

Comment

flye, what do you intent to cut ?
                            look kind of heavy duty to me

having the workpiece move or not both have its advantage,
                            for me, i will try to max the size for a bigger workpiece,
                            since high accuracy is not a must at this moment.

Its a Great day, lets fly, crawl, and fight.

XRB SR Lama
                            Robotis Bioloid
                            Robot Bear

<a href="http://asherong.sg">http://asherong.sg</a>

Comment

hmmm... to which level do you want to do? are you buying your own components and solder yourself?

or buying off the self drivers and breakout board. If so i could recommend you some good places to get your electronics stuff cheap.
                              I didn't make myself clear. My apology. I'm not going to build myself the motor drive and stuff. I build silly circuits to learn about electronics. Anyhow, I'm interested to know where to get electronics stuff cheap. Have always purchase components from Koba in People's Park Centre, which is near my office. The folks there are very nice people. Don't mind paying a little more for the level of service and friendliness. Boss' son even share with me how certain things are done certain way. Not so good experiences with those at SLT. I think its more for people who have knowledge of what they want. Asked a question and I get "I only sell components".

Comment

phew.. hot day man... just came back from kelantan lane.

bought some 1/2" x 4" x 300mm alu from a shop there.

cost me $12 each. The surface is atrocious, full of scratches! didn't notice it when they cut it. now i don't know how to remove the scratches.

tried another shop, this time bought a 450mm flat bar, cost $18.

better quality. learn my lesson, next time better check before asking them to cut.
                                Can I have the shop's address? When you're there, did you see plates of around the size of 550mm x 550mm x 15mm? Will they cut to the required precision?

Comment

Working...
                                X