Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK Alliance CP

Anyone interested in a build report for an MK Alliance CP - pattern plane kit designed for a YS63? I don't see anyone else putting up build reports here on this forum, so I don't know if there is any interest in this community for such postings. I am building one right now so can post pictures and reports on the progress, what to avoid, blunders (always the manufacturers fault of course ) if there is interest.
    To win........one must not lose.

Confucius

I'm all for it!!

Thanks in advance tony for sharing your knowledge...I'm sure it'll be an eye opener..

TREX 500 ESP
    Futaba T12FGH

Comment

i would like to see the progress too!!

rifqi.
      this hobby is a compulsion/addiction/disease

Comment

I am interested in any form of RC plane building thread....but may I know how does a MK Alliance CP looks like ?

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Confucius

Comment

What the?????????? How do I edit my post. I normally upload the pictures first and then edit it to include the text. I don't seem to be able to get back in to my post to insert the text. ?????? Looks like I'll have to post again. Dang?????

Confucius

Comment

This is how it comes, tightly packed into a little box that belies the size of the finished product. Pour it out and the numbe parts that falls out can give you a minor heart attack. Balsa wood is typical MK quality - all contest grade wood, with density of each part suited for the intended purpose. Many of the parts have bevels, chamfers milled into the wood. For lightness, many parts are a composit of aircraft grade light ply and the appropriate density balsa wood to give a very strong yet light part. Exquisite.

Downsides of MK kits are:

(i) No hardware is included. This means no under carraige, no horns, no hinges etc etc zilch. The assumption I think is that someone who choose a high end competitive model such as this is likely to already have such parts in his parts bin and to include it in the kit is going to just add needlessly to the kit price.

(ii) No instructions are included with the kit. The only thing provided is a plan and text is in Japanese. You'll have to figure out how to build it all on your own.

(iii) Not all the parts are marked. Again, you are required to go figure out what parts goes where without the aid of number on the part or a parts schedule.

Having said this, its not difficult to build because of the incredible parts fit and quality of the kitting but there is a lot of building involved and one needs to know how to figure out how to build this plane without instructions. Those with limited building experience, you have been fore warned.

This is what the finished plane should look like. Wingspan = 58 in, Wing Area = 620 sq in, weight = 5 to 51/4 lb.

Tailplane is built up. Its like building a small wing. Leading edge and trailing edge needs to be accurately jigged with scrap balsa wood as self jigging tabs are not provided.

Once the framework is finished, the whole is then sheeted up.

The wing is the same. Frames up quickly because the parts fit exactly. If it does not, check to make sure that you've got the right part. Its important to note that MK has taken care of very small details. Notches on wings spars, leading edges etc are angled to account for the dihedral angle etc. Make sure that you have the parts in the right orientation. For example, upper spares are angled slightly differently from bottom spars etc. The differences are small but can make the difference between a nicely aligned and straight wing and one you'll have to discard. Dry fit the parts and see how they fall together.

Wing coming together. The trailing edge extension is added on after the main wing is framed up.
              [IMG]www.tleong.rchomepage.com/050304_018.jpg.jpg[/IMG]

Here is the finished wing prior to final sanding and shaping.

Confucius

Comment

Yup, no editing. What we normally do is text, and attach picture to each post. Nice work though..

Comment

Oops. I screwed up again on the posting. Can't go in to edit again. Sheeesh. Anyway, you can marry up the text with the picture in the earlier posting cos I am not going to waste any more time redoing it again. Is there anyway that editing can be done is am I missing out on something here. The other forum (electric RC flying) allows very easy editing.

Confucius

Comment

Tony, glad that u started this threat, i have never built an MK kit before, not even look inside the box, this is going to b an eye opener...thanks for sharing! Is quality of the wood s good s Pilot kits?

For Sale

CSM ICG400 Heading Lock Gyro+ ($160)
                    (

Comment

I've built many MK and Pilot kits over the last 20 something years and they are a close fight for quality. My opinion is that MK has better quality wood in that they will use a variety of grades - each tailored for the desired purpose of the part. ie. quarter grain where stiffness is required, hard balsa when strength is required etc. Also, they use neat tricks like compositing balsa with ply for many of their parts to give strength and lightness. Pilot kits gives good balsa of consistent quality. However, they do have a tendency towards using softer (usually powdery white) balsa throughout. Both brands makes extensive use of milled balsa parts eg. many parts, even small parts are intricately beveled and chamfered. These kits are the ultimate for balsa bashers like myself.

So to answer your question, they both make incredible balsa kits. However, between the two, Pilot kits are little more builder friendly ie. they come with some instructions, some pictures (not much but there are some) and critical construction areas get things like jigging tabs etc to help you to build them straight and true. The MKs are targeted at the contest/more experienced builders and they do not come with any building aids. This is not a problem for those who already have developed their own favourite methods and tools for jigging etc but can be daunting task for the less experienced builder. But build it right and you have a contest quality aerobat.

Hope the above info helps.

Confucius

Comment

These are just some examples of the milled parts that are provided.

Starting on the fuselage now. Right angle edge is an esssential tool to make sure that all the formers are exactly square to the fuselage sides.

This is the removable nose block. The design allows the whole block to be removed to all unhinderd access to the engine, fuel tank and fuel plumbing. This is neat, as I hate to have to work in the usually very cramped area just behind the engine bay.

Fuselage halves coming together. I mostly use Probond for almost everything. Probond takes hours to totally dry out so my building style is to glue, weight/pin parts together and then leave overnight to dry. Suits me because I can only spare a little bit of time a day for building and the use of Probond saves me from the nasty fumes that CA gives out which cannot be too good for your lungs over the long term.

Confucius

Comment

I've built an MK Super Astro low-winger 3 years ago, it's expensive (S$200 for mine, and in kit form, no hardare but headache! because need $ to complete the kit) but still my favourite aerobatic plane till today. Mk kits are for more advanced builders who already know which parts of the plane... goes to where yes, only 1 sheet of drawing and all in japanese, but i can tell you THEY ARE A DREAM TO FLY!, although mine is a low winger and looks "kuku"(ugly!), it's a pattern plane trainer and does everything a pattern plane does, you can fly my Super Astro at knife-edge from left to right side of the runway, as long as you hold the full left or right rudder, it will stay level as long as you like! it's sooo nice to fly an MK kit plane I may sell other planes away, but not my MK Super Astro

Comment

Thanks for the comprehensive info on MK kit, can c from the pics they r of top quality.

Just looked through SHS's list of MK kits....no scale planes .... MK doesnt make scale aerobats like Cap, Extra, Edge, etc?

For Sale

CSM ICG400 Heading Lock Gyro+ ($160)
                            (

Comment

Yes. I do not recall them ever making scale or semi scale planes. Mostly sports and competition type acrobatic planes.

Confucius

Comment

Working...
                              X