Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC conversion for plastic scale model ship

Sorry I know this maynot a new discussion but too lazy to go look for the old thread ......

Does anyone into plastic scale model ship conversion ? Mainly warship of large scale like the 1/350 range or even larger.

Originally posted by loyn View Post
    Sorry I know this maynot a new discussion but too lazy to go look for the old thread ......

Does anyone into plastic scale model ship conversion ? Mainly warship of large scale like the 1/350 range or even larger.
    me =D

I guess you are referring to the 1:350 Tamiya kits...Its quite easy. you have a Tx Rx with you?
    Hangar:
    IJN Yamato (RC, EP)
    fitted with workable searchlight
    1/350 Tamiya,
    converted from static

DKM Bismarck (Static)
    USS Missouri (Static)
    --------------------
    Shipyard:
    Schnellboot S-100 Klasse (RC, EP)
    USS New Jersey (RC, EP)
    -------------------
    Home Waters: Tanah Merah (my condo)
    Boating hours: 9.30pm+ (night ops)
    -------------------

Comment

Hi,
      I used to build and run electric scale rc boats many years ago. I think 1:350 scale plastic models are too small to achieve any realistic effect on the water. Run too fast for scale speed and parts are too delicate for normal handling. Had built the Nichimo 1:200 scale Yamato before. Although big on my work bench, it still looked small in the water. For warships, I think 1:100 is the minimum scale to go but the hulls for battleships will be about 8-10 feet long - too difficult to transport and store.

For this reason, I chose to model fishing and tug boats previously with scale between 1:16 and 1:48. My favourite then was a 1:16 trawler which cut the water beautifully at a realistic scale speed.

Comment

Plastic modelling is my long time hobby, make them rc is my dream when young

Yes 1/350 is kind of small for boat ...... especially for battleship once in the water it looks like toy

then again for the burget and space constrain I think 1/200 will be the max limit ..... at least for me and 1/350 will be for nor project.

I like work boat too but cant find any RC or plastic kit in Singapore. From online shop the shipment is killing where did you get your working boat kit ?

I got the 1/200 yamato too but still nib for 20 yrs ...... once build no space to store BTW you still have the 1/200 Yamato with you ? Will be a good reference for me if can see it in action

Comment

Originally posted by toiletfreak View Post
          me =D

I guess you are referring to the 1:350 Tamiya kits...Its quite easy. you have a Tx Rx with you?
          I have already started on the project and like 45% thru.....

have done with the control and sea trial now working on the deck detail ....

Oh my is not the yamato is the Bismarck

then again still the "bad" guy

some pic of my bismarck in progress and sea trial at Bishan ...... without any upper deck structure

oh BTW how do you attach the deck to the hull ...... glue or screw ? I wish to make them 100% removable for maintenance but still thinking how to water proof them

Comment

I have already started on the project and like 45% thru.....

have done with the control and sea trial now working on the deck detail ....

Oh my is not the yamato is the Bismarck

then again still the "bad" guy

some pic of my bismarck in progress and sea trial at Bishan ...... without any upper deck structure

oh BTW how do you attach the deck to the hull ...... glue or screw ? I wish to make them 100% removable for maintenance but still thinking how to water proof them
            lawl how did you even manage to fit it on a bismarck?
            Hangar:
            IJN Yamato (RC, EP)
            1/350 Tamiya,
            converted from static

DKM Bismarck (Static)
            USS Missouri (Static)
            --------------------
            Shipyard:
            USS New Jersey (RC, EP)
            -------------------
            -------------------

Comment

looks good, how about magent like some planes use to hold the deck in place

Comment

I like work boat too but cant find any RC or plastic kit in Singapore. From online shop the shipment is killing where did you get your working boat kit ?

I got the 1/200 yamato too but still nib for 20 yrs ...... once build no space to store BTW you still have the 1/200 Yamato with you ? Will be a good reference for me if can see it in action
                Hi Loyn,

I still have quite a few kits mailed ordered from UK shops in the 1980s/90s. These are full kits with GRP hulls and white metals detailing parts, mainly from the British makers CalderCraft and Model Slipway. Also have a few GRP hulls from Kingston Moulding, including a German E-Boat about 40" in length. I am lucky to have bought them when the British air postage cost was decent at about S$80-$100 each. Today British mail no longer accept parcel over a certain size and these same kits will have to be shipped by courier service and will cost just as much if not more than the kit itself. One major British hobby shop told me this has badly affected their overseas sale. You are right in saying that it is very difficult to find scale working boats in Singapore although Rotor had some RTR fishing boats (I bought one and thought it is quite well done and acceptable for its price - good base for further modification and superdetailing). Central Hobby when it was in Centre Point used to carry a few Dean Marine kits but their prices were quite high. There is another RC car shop in Orchard that I remember seeing a few RC warship models.

If you ever holiday in UK, it may be good to hand-carry one back. But be wary of the box size and weight. Personally, I think scratch-building from plans is a good option. The magazine, Model Boats, used to have very good free plans but now most of them are not worth a second look, very toy-like designs for beginners. But occasionally, you can still find true scale plans for a nice pilot boat or tug boat.

The 200 scale Yamato was built for another owner and is not with me. I do have some pictures somewhere in the house but not sure I can locate them.

Comment

Hi Preferscale,

yes is v difficult to get a good size ship model from oversea without making a hole in the pocket now aday.....

that is why resolve on plastic model even it is ....... small

I have scratch build rc plane before but boat ...... new to me. To build a stand off scale or look alike may be but a full scale boat ...... dont think I am there yet. That is why even for ship kit I am look at those plastic or ABS hull type to avoid building from ground up

Do you still into rc scale boating or is already history for you ..... good to know someone with experience on this area

Comment

Originally posted by toiletfreak View Post
                    lawl how did you even manage to fit it on a bismarck?
                    hm ...... I know the yamato should have more rm for installation of RC but the Bismarck is not so bad either

except I have to get away from all the stock drive system (gearbox and motor) and modify the hull accordingly for the 2 180 motor

the rudder is the non scale type and simple to adapt for rc control.

oh the bismarck move fast in water, during the sea trial the front of the hull came off from water like a speed boat at full throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Akula View Post
                      looks good, how about magent like some planes use to hold the deck in place
                      thanks for the idea , but not sure will it provide enought hold down force to seal again water ...... will keep them in mind

thanks

Comment

Hi Loyn,

I still have my scale boat kits although none of my previous fleet are "seaworthy" now. There used to be a very small group of marine scale enthusiasts then but when the West Coast Park (our sailing site) was affected by the container port extension, somehow the ambience for a casual weekend sailing was lost. Also with family committments, time and money are not as freely available now.

Still keen to build and sail again but now very much into electric flight, and of course scale planes.

Comment

hm ...... I know the yamato should have more rm for installation of RC but the Bismarck is not so bad either

except I have to get away from all the stock drive system (gearbox and motor) and modify the hull accordingly for the 2 180 motor

the rudder is the non scale type and simple to adapt for rc control.

oh the bismarck move fast in water, during the sea trial the front of the hull came off from water like a speed boat at full throttle
                          loool i have the same one but its totally static...and I cemented the whole deck in place. so no chance of removal for conversion =(

yeah it does have just enough room for conversion...but like LAWL?! if your hull takes water your Rx is gonna fry...I place my Yamato's one in an airtight box from NTUC =D Know any place selling cheap lipos?
                          Hangar:
                          IJN Yamato (RC, EP)
                          1/350 Tamiya,
                          converted from static

DKM Bismarck (Static)
                          USS Missouri (Static)
                          --------------------
                          Shipyard:
                          USS New Jersey (RC, EP)
                          -------------------
                          -------------------

Comment

I am still using my v old lipo , sorry no idea where to get real cheap lipo

ya need a dry box for the electronic , just in case

Comment

Originally posted by preferscale View Post
                              Hi Loyn,

I still have my scale boat kits although none of my previous fleet are "seaworthy" now. There used to be a very small group of marine scale enthusiasts then but when the West Coast Park (our sailing site) was affected by the container port extension, somehow the ambience for a casual weekend sailing was lost. Also with family committments, time and money are not as freely available now.

Still keen to build and sail again but now very much into electric flight, and of course scale planes.
                              we are in the other round, we lost our flying field so go back for boating. Cant agree more that as a family man ...... family always come first.

hope to see you once again with your fleet of scale ship

Comment

Working...
                              X