This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by khpan2003
    hi genexis, i had try to make a needle hole on one of the lipo.. it was air that came out.. didn't feel any liquid come out from the al pouche when i try to lightly press the lipo

Do the lipo cell needed to be vacuum sealed? Cause air will expend inside when the batt get heated up during flying...
    I had tried doing the same thing. But realised that the battery doesn't hold the charge as good as before & it will suddenly cut-off when in full power. So be careful. ONce bloated, I think u can either re-pack it from 3s to 2s or make it 1s for other purposes...

Happy Charging!!!
    Juz crossed over to the DUCT side!

Flying: P-51 Mustang, Corsair, F4 Phantom, Beaver(GF's), TigerMoth(GF's)
    Slope Glider: E-Hawk 1500
    Still in Box: Formosa, Zero Fighter, Me 109
    Things to Sell:
    - T-rex 450XL NIB
    - Nano Falcon(not build yet)

- Speed 370 motor with JST connector & Spur gear $5, PM me

Comment

The lipo cell is vacuum pack to prevent oxygen from entering. The reason for the cell to balloon is the gel inside gets overheated and turn into gas. This change of state is not reversible.

Once it ballooned, the cell will start to degrade prematurely, loosing capacity, can't hold the voltage etc. Making a pin hole cannot help the cell, it is best to dispose it by soaking it in salt water to discharge the cell for a day or 2 and dump it.

Cheers

Comment

i've been hearing this thing about soaking it in salt water but i can;t find the source to read up more on this issue.. can anyone intro me a thread or article regarding this salt water thing to dispose of the battery? i dont wanna dump it in the dumpster and see a bushfire on the headlines tommorow
        Really interested to learn more about these batteries,

Light
        I'm a Newbie...

Comment

Originally posted by LightStalker
          i've been hearing this thing about soaking it in salt water but i can;t find the source to read up more on this issue.. can anyone intro me a thread or article regarding this salt water thing to dispose of the battery? i dont wanna dump it in the dumpster and see a bushfire on the headlines tommorow
          Really interested to learn more about these batteries,

Light
          Bro if wanna dispose off ur batt can come to my work place Incinerator plant.I will bring u along and u dispose it yourself.It is 2nd biggest incinerator in Singapore.But come after office hour lah no government.
          EPP WARBIRD P51
          HS55
          Optic6

Comment

kaoz!!! my batt went up in flames! n its only my 2nd charge.. good thing my room didn't catch fire
            Eflite Blade CX2 - 23 Feb 2007
            HoneyBee CP2 - 01 Jan 2007
            1st crash (CP2) - 02 Jan 2007
            1st fire accident (battery) - 07 Jan 2007

Comment

tis is wat happened to my brand new lipo batt that comes w/ the honeybee cp2; using the original charger too and its only my 2nd charge after one maiden flig ht
              of cos the pix is after i cleaned up the surrounding area, as u can see wat happended to my fiber table lamp tat was beside it

Comment

LJSG,

Sorry to read about your incident, fortunately no one was hurt and only your fiber optic lamp

I am curious to the type of charger you were using, can you post a picture of the charger?

Comment

Originally posted by LJSG
                  tis is wat happened to my brand new lipo batt that comes w/ the honeybee cp2; using the original charger too and its only my 2nd charge after one maiden flig ht
                  of cos the pix is after i cleaned up the surrounding area, as u can see wat happended to my fiber table lamp tat was beside it
                  Thanks for sharing and reminding us.

Its a Great day, lets fly, crawl, and fight.

XRB SR Lama
                  Robotis Bioloid
                  Robot Bear

<a href="http://asherong.sg">http://asherong.sg</a>

Comment

the charger that was used (original from ESky) is exactly the same accept the connector which was red. This one in the pix is a replacement from the shop since now they provided me w/ a balanced charger.

Comment

oops.. forgot to upload pix.. haha

Comment

questions questions... please help?

hiya folks,

i am trying to make a pack for r/c cars. it needs to be 2SsomethingP.

i was looking to use DN power's 1350mah packs because they are the correct size; to get the capacity i want, i was thinking of paralleling 4 packs. to get a 2S8P saddle pack.

the connections will be donw with bits of wire and proper connectors of cos.

but is it safe to charge it as a single pack of 2S8P? or is it more dangerous to charge it seperately and discharge it together?

do i need to balance up each and every cell in the pack?

ok, and how do i go about balancing a 2S8P pack?

please help!

thanks a bunch!

-alexander

Comment

Alex,

Before u built a pack, determined the amps draw u need.

Assuming you need 80 amps burst, and 60 amps continuous

20C discharge cells , u will need 2s 3000 mah.

The idea is to keep the system simple, less connector, less wire, less solder etc. = less chance of a problem.

Cheers

Comment

2s8P? that is a big battery pack for RC car. May I know what car are you using it on?

Originally posted by foampervert
                            hiya folks,

i am trying to make a pack for r/c cars. it needs to be 2SsomethingP.

i was looking to use DN power's 1350mah packs because they are the correct size; to get the capacity i want, i was thinking of paralleling 4 packs. to get a 2S8P saddle pack.

the connections will be donw with bits of wire and proper connectors of cos.

but is it safe to charge it as a single pack of 2S8P? or is it more dangerous to charge it seperately and discharge it together?

do i need to balance up each and every cell in the pack?

ok, and how do i go about balancing a 2S8P pack?

please help!

thanks a bunch!

-alexander

Comment

thanks for the replies but...

Originally posted by mave
                              2s8P? that is a big battery pack for RC car. May I know what car are you using it on?
                              hiya!

thanks for replying!

i'm just making a saddle pack for a 1/10th ep off road buggy. it needs to have saddle packs equivalent in size to a 6 cell nimh saddle pack. this was the closest i could find, to make it. 4 dn power 1350 2s1p batteries fit the size of a 6cell nimh battery almost exactly.

so anyways, where was i? because it's buggy, i am unsure how much the amp draw could be when it's running up jumps and stuff.

so i figured, 5400mah or 108amps continuous and 216 instant should be more than safe and would also provide more runtime.

because i have so many cells in parallel, do i need to balance all of them individually? or just balance the 2 series of cells? like balance each bank of paralleled cells as if it were a 2s1p?

would there be any help on this?

thanks again for the answers! much appreciated!

-alexander

Comment

I am new to Lipo.. i bought a 2200mAh rated 7.4V output.
                                I have a Speed Pro 15 charger that can charge Nicad, NiMH, LiOn and LiPo.

Qns is, I don't have a balancer.. I dont need performance out from the Lipo because I am only using it for supply to receiver and 2 servo. Is balancer necessary. Actually what kind of balancer are available. I don't want to spend money on expensive chargers with balancer since I had a very good charger and don't want it to go to waste.

Also if I dont balance them, what happens ? So many story of burning and explosion, I am worried something bad will happen when I am not at home and things get nasty.. the Lipo was used once only so far..

please advise , thanks !
                                I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Working...
                                X