Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get Foam Glue?

Hi guys,

Are those Foam Glue for planes available in DIY shops?

& what is there anything that I need to look out for before buying 1?

I heard Gorilla glue is available at Arts Friend. Check it out.

Comment

i use UHU por for gws kits and multiplex elapor, they work well, light and strong..
      -Ehawk 2000 Pro
      -Mouton 1600 EV
      -AMD micro chili
      -HK Kinetic800
      -SF Learjet45

Comment

I've been playing around with glues,i have use 6brands of glue so far that can be use to join Polystyrene foam (see picture)

From left to right (my opinions and experiences with these glues)

1)All purpose white glue / $1.5 / From popular. Join slighty strong but drying time is very long up to 24hours, clears dries and smooth.

2)Art select /$1.5 / popular and artfriend. Gel substance,Joins like epoxy,hardens like rubber and dries within 3-4hours.

3)Foam glue/$3.5/Art friend. Similar to white glue just that the glue is stronger, easy to spread across large surfaces and 24hours to dry.

4)Craft glue/$3.5/DIY store. Just like UHU por , 4-5hours drying time, Strong bond

5)UHU por/$4.5/Art friend. Apply boths sides and wait for 2-3minutes till both surfaces become sticky then when held together for more then 5minutes, the 2 surfaces grips each other tightly, very useful for quick fix.

6)GWS glue/???$/ comes with my estarter , Eh, i find it just like Uhupor, but i think its lousier.

With so many types of glues out there, i'll suggest you to choose 2 brands of glue.

1) that has strong,quick drying ability so you can make fast repairs at the flying field or at home where you need to get the job done quick.Though it'll bit messy if done properly. For me its hot glue,Uhu por

2) One that has slow drying time, especially when i have 2 large pieces (maybe 15cmx15cmx15cm or bigger) to join , i'll have more time to play around adjusting and make sure it joins precisely and clamp it for few hours till it dries strong and clean. This will be Art select /foam glue.

Build it
        Fly it
        Crash it
        Fix it

Comment

Originally posted by MacDream
          I heard Gorilla glue is available at Arts Friend. Check it out.
          Originally posted by Touch n Go
          i use UHU por for gws kits and multiplex elapor, they work well, light and strong..
          Thank you guys

Originally posted by viper1990 View Post
          I've been playing around with glues,i have use 6brands of glue so far that can be use to join Polystyrene foam (see picture)

From left to right (my opinions and experiences with these glues)

1)All purpose white glue / $1.5 / From popular. Join slighty strong but drying time is very long up to 24hours, clears dries and smooth.

2)Art select /$1.5 / popular and artfriend. Gel substance,Joins like epoxy,hardens like rubber and dries within 3-4hours.

3)Foam glue/$3.5/Art friend. Similar to white glue just that the glue is stronger, easy to spread across large surfaces and 24hours to dry.

4)Craft glue/$3.5/DIY store. Just like UHU por , 4-5hours drying time, Strong bond

5)UHU por/$4.5/Art friend. Apply boths sides and wait for 2-3minutes till both surfaces become sticky then when held together for more then 5minutes, the 2 surfaces grips each other tightly, very useful for quick fix.

6)GWS glue/???$/ comes with my estarter , Eh, i find it just like Uhupor, but i think its lousier.

With so many types of glues out there, i'll suggest you to choose 2 brands of glue.

1) that has strong,quick drying ability so you can make fast repairs at the flying field or at home where you need to get the job done quick.Though it'll bit messy if done properly. For me its hot glue,Uhu por

2) One that has slow drying time, especially when i have 2 large pieces (maybe 15cmx15cmx15cm or bigger) to join , i'll have more time to play around adjusting and make sure it joins precisely and clamp it for few hours till it dries strong and clean. This will be Art select /foam glue.
          Do I need to take note what type of foam my plane is made up from? Coz my manual did not stated what kind of foam the plane is.

Comment

Nope, blue,pink foams, stryofoam,depron we be still under the same category. All will stick with the glues i mentioned. As long glue dosen't eat foam. Most staffs at the shops won't know whether it'll dissolve foam or not so you have to do some research on types of glues sold there and reviews from people on the internet.
            Build it
            Fly it
            Crash it
            Fix it

Comment

Nope, blue,pink foams, stryofoam,depron we be still under the same category. All will stick with the glues i mentioned. As long glue dosen't eat foam. Most staffs at the shops won't know whether it'll dissolve foam or not so you have to do some research on types of glues sold there and reviews from people on the internet.
              So in another words all the glue u recommended above does not eat into the foam rite?

Comment

Yep all those i mentioned dosen't eat foam. But if you are still in doubt which shop sells non-foam eating glue , one of a good place to buy foam glue will be at fookhai building, inside those stores they sell small bottles of ca glue, be sure to look out for those labeled "foam safe"

For example in jet hobby, they sell this, it'll state foam friendly or not.

And becareful of spray adhesive, such as the 3m77 spray. It dose actually eat into foam (not too badly, but you'll see small holes forming) if the can is held near while spraying (about >30cm).

Build it
                Fly it
                Crash it
                Fix it

Comment

Yep all those i mentioned dosen't eat foam. But if you are still in doubt which shop sells non-foam eating glue , one of a good place to buy foam glue will be at fookhai building, inside those stores they sell small bottles of ca glue, be sure to look out for those labeled "foam safe"

For example in jet hobby, they sell this, it'll state foam friendly or not.

And becareful of spray adhesive, such as the 3m77 spray. It dose actually eat into foam (not too badly, but you'll see small holes forming) if the can is held near while spraying (about >30cm).

http://www.insidepool.com/order/images/3MSU77.jpg
                  Ok, thanks for ur advice!

Comment

Selley's PVA white glue

Hi Janson,

I use Selley's PVA glue for foam, balsa etc....

its slow drying but extra strong and give a clear translucent finishing, it is also flexible. Water washable before it dries up, a very popular glue among some of us for hobby planes or foams.

I think it is about S$6.20 now, avail at NTUC hardware section.
                    Cheers!

Check this thread also:

Punggol Field Walk - Precision Landing Required!

Comment

Originally posted by P4cm4n2000 View Post
                      Hi Janson,

I use Selley's PVA glue for foam, balsa etc....

its slow drying but extra strong and give a clear translucent finishing, it is also flexible. Water washable before it dries up, a very popular glue among some of us for hobby planes or foams.

I think it is about S$6.20 now, avail at NTUC hardware section.
                      Cheers!

Check this thread also:

Wah, with so many good recommendations, i'm spolit for choices! haha

Comment

UHU Por

From the friendly 24hr Neighbourhood MaMa Shop(Mustaffa)

make sure you get the Green Packing that says "UHU Por"
                        sigpic
                        FASSTGot Quard?

Comment

Originally posted by Raven View Post
                          UHU Por

From the friendly 24hr Neighbourhood MaMa Shop(Mustaffa)

make sure you get the Green Packing that says "UHU Por"
                          Is this the same glue that was mentioned by viper1990 above?

Comment

Originally posted by jansonfinn View Post
                            Hi guys,

Are those Foam Glue for planes available in DIY shops?

& what is there anything that I need to look out for before buying 1?
                            Got it. Thank guys for the recommendation!

Thread closed

Comment

Same thing under different names

Hi jansonfinn,

With so many glues out there, it can be quite confusing. So I find it's good to know their more universal 'technical' or 'chemical' names.

If I'm not mistaken, "White Glue" is a common household, daily lingo name for what is actually PVA glue. PVA stands for 'Polyvinyl Acetate' glue, which has a water base, rather than solvent based. Which is why it is 'foam-friendly'. It's also why most common white glue joints should not be exposed to too much water, as you may dissolve the joint. I think that's what the word "Interior" on the bottle of Selleys PVA glue in the picture is referring to. I believe the water base also makes it safer for children to use, which is why you will find some 'craft glues' useable by school children in art class. I think 'papier mache'(think i got the spelling wrong) uses water-thinned white glue. Do correct me if I slipped here.

So pacman2000 contribution of Selleys PVA glue is another brand of white glue. Isn't it nice to know we have so many different white glues to choose from? Thanks pacman2000! In the plastic-modelling world, white-glue is particularly useful for attaching clear canopies, as its water-base means it won't cloud the clear canopies like solvent-based cements. Another plus point is its mostly transparent when dry, and invisible when looking at the joint.

Viper1990 has put up a nice list of glues for foam.

Some have mentioned polyurethane 'Gorilla' glue in this and some other threads here. It sounds quite promising too. I saw more than 1 'gorilla' brand glue types at Art Friend recently. Anyone can chip in their experience and tell us which particular type is best for our foam models?

thanks all for sharing.

Pete
                              ... It's in the Details... :>

Comment

Working...
                              X