Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GWS J-10 build thread.

Hi guys,

Now that the glider season is over, its time to go hot roding again. I had some plan earlier to built a big nitro plane but after watching Philip's J-10, I just wanted one.

So I went down to rotor and picked one up.

Upon opening the box, first thing that came to mind is, GWS has come a long way since the days of beaver and formosa... The parts and components are all packed properly and nicely, accessories are good quality and even servo extention cables are included. The most impressive is the instruction. Its dual language and the illustration are good and accurate.

The j-10 specific, this is a big EDf. looks sharp and seem to fly very well in the right hands.

I have decided on the following set up:
    a)Airframe GWS J-10 NPS(comes with a 75mm fan) from rotor
    b)Motor GS B28-45-05 3500kv from Jet Hobby
    c)Fan GWS stock fan 75mm (came with the plane)
    d)Battery Dualsky 3700Mah 25C 3S
    e)ESC Dualsky 40amp ESC
    f)Servos Corona digital ball bearing
    g)Retracts EPF digital servoless retracts
    h)Regulator Dualsky 3A for receiver

Controls
    a)Futaba 9CAP with 6 channel receiver

Made some progress yesterday...put the fuse and wings together and ran the power plant, seems powerful enough, about 1 to 1 power to weight ratio. Will post the thrust after more proper measurement. All the parts go together well. The surface has little 'nipples' left over from the molding process. Was a little tedious to have them removed...

The fan has heat sink and tail cone. Exhaust area now 97% of FSA. Heat sink is from GWS- alluminum. Also moded the ESC to have a big heat sink with fins, purchased from KOBA people park center.

Comment

Hi Vortices, very nice plane.
      I have the gws 75mm EDF but have unable to fit the B28-47-3kv from China to the GWS EDF. Motor diameter a tad over size.
      Post more pic and video when you can.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Kevin,

...will be following your build thread.
        btw, how are you gonna fit in the 3700mah batt?

Comment

Originally posted by bartdude2007
          Hi Kevin,

...will be following your build thread.
          btw, how are you gonna fit in the 3700mah batt?

To be honest, that is the plan, have not looked at it seriously yet. Isnt yours 3700 mah? Now busy installing the retracts, not as easy as I expected it to be. Also deciding on the camo scheme. Nothing I have seen in the Net I like. Any suggestion? Something nice and scale and visible in the air. Thought of adopting the Su27 naval scheme on the J-10...

Comment

I'm using 2500mah 25c,.. fits nicely based on the attached pic.
            I tried to fit in a 3200mah but is too wide..need to chop some foam on the sides
            That SU27 scheme is not bad. I actually based mine from this:
            RC Groups - the most active Radio Control model community: electric and fuel rc airplanes,rc helis,rc boats and rc cars. Features discussion forums, blogs, videos and classifieds.

Comment

Hey Vortices,

Some pics for your reference, found it when reading about it, too good to miss. Click on the third link, you can see the design more clearly, there is actually some camou work on J10 lol, most pics can't see.

Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by edmond22
                Hey Vortices,

Some pics for your reference, found it when reading about it, too good to miss. Click on the third link, you can see the design more clearly, there is actually some camou work on J10 lol, most pics can't see.

Thanks buddy....but this camo will almost hide the plane once airbourne...decisions..decisions...

Thanks again.

Comment

I got to see the real one fly in person.
                  Very nice silhouette in the air.
                  Design grew on me pretty fast.

Thanx!
                  SLOPE SOARING NOT A CRIME

The irresistible desire, for the irresistibly desired

Multiplex Royal Evo 12 user, and Proud of it.

Comment

Hi,

I'm about to finish mine as well and am also looking for a good paint scheme. I agree the original camo is going to work too well against a blue or grey sky.

Jeff
                    All electric all the time!

Comment

Originally posted by Vortices
                      Thanks buddy....but this camo will almost hide the plane once airbourne...decisions..decisions...

Thanks again.
                      wah buddy now ah? hmmm.....
                      Punggol Field Walk - Precision Landing Required!

Comment

Went to art friend yesterday and bought the following colors design master gray flannel 798, Ice blue 704 and blue marlin 686. Should be able to replicate su-27 livery.

Will be very busy next whole week, progress might be a little slow.

cheers.

Comment

Finally had some time. Installed retracts and did a engine amp run. Fully charged 3S drawing 37.6amps. Major hardware installed. Getting worried, its 1 kg already with 2200 3s battery.

This plane seems to have pitch authority problem..lack of it and overly sensitive ailerons. Can all successful J-10ners post their throw and cg to improve my chances of success.

Anyway the retract installation quite straight forward, just a lot of work. Had to shorten the retract structs. Change the spring to damper/spring, Mod the nose gear area to transfer nose gear load to main fuse. Will measure static thrust next.

hopefully will be able to maiden this saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Vortices
                            Finally had some time. Installed retracts and did a engine amp run. Fully charged 3S drawing 37.6amps. Major hardware installed. Getting worried, its 1 kg already with 2200 3s battery.

This plane seems to have pitch authority problem..lack of it and overly sensitive ailerons. Can all successful J-10ners post their throw and cg to improve my chances of success.
                            Hi,

Nice build. Love the retracts.

My throws are 4mm on aileron (elevator stick at neutral), 10mm on elev (aileron stick neutral) and 15mm (low rates) to 25mm (high rates) on canards. You can also check out this post in RCG. J-10 throws.

Mine's at 1.13kg and I have about 500W on it. Flies nicely. Have a good maiden.

Regards,
                            Jeff
                            All electric all the time!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff
                              Hi,

Nice build. Love the retracts.

My throws are 4mm on aileron (elevator stick at neutral), 10mm on elev (aileron stick neutral) and 15mm (low rates) to 25mm (high rates) on canards. You can also check out this post in RCG. J-10 throws.

Mine's at 1.13kg and I have about 500W on it. Flies nicely. Have a good maiden.

Regards,
                              Jeff

Great. Thanks. Where is your CG?
                              Last edited by Vortices; 14-05-2008, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X