• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nytflyer View Post
    you guys tried subs there???
    Why not

Comment

Do you guys usually illegally park parallel near to the platform or park at the dam and walk 200m?

Comment

Originally posted by raidor88 View Post
        Do you guys usually illegally park parallel near to the platform or park at the dam and walk 200m?
        I park at the grass verge along the road. No obstruction to traffic at all.

Comment

Hi guys

Hi guys,

to prevent being suspicious ill be completely honest. I'm from Seletar Country Club and PUB has approached us to find out in what ways can we help you guys to have a better boating experience. Unfortunately, I am no boater and I told Mr Goh from PUB that we can only help out if we have some inputs from the enthusiasts like you guys.

We dont wanna end up assuming we know whats best and end up spoiling your boating experience instead of making it better, but it would be great if i had your inputs. My name is Danial and my contact is 6486 0873, or you can email me at dcheah@seletarclub.com.sg

Cheers guys!

Comment

Originally posted by deekwoo View Post
            Hi guys,

to prevent being suspicious ill be completely honest. I'm from Seletar Country Club and PUB has approached us to find out in what ways can we help you guys to have a better boating experience. Unfortunately, I am no boater and I told Mr Goh from PUB that we can only help out if we have some inputs from the enthusiasts like you guys.

We dont wanna end up assuming we know whats best and end up spoiling your boating experience instead of making it better, but it would be great if i had your inputs. My name is Danial and my contact is 6486 0873, or you can email me at dcheah@seletarclub.com.sg

Cheers guys!

Currently we will need a nice parking space near the r/c boating platform.

In the future, maybe boat retrieval service, properly marked course, continual removal of water plants, storage facilities, power point for charging of batts, etc......

Mr Goh should know who am I. Met him in person and always disturb him in my emails. I think having the discussion here is more healthy as it is transparent and everyone can join in with their ideas rather than me communicating with yourself or Mr Goh alone.

Comment

Ive already discussed with Mr Goh and they are trying to convert a small area into a carpark for you guys... what if we organise a race at the circuit?

Comment

Ive already discussed with Mr Goh and they are trying to convert a small area into a carpark for you guys... what if we organise a race at the circuit?
                Organise a race is a good start. But there will be problems,

1) Launching platform is only big enough for four players.
                2) Where spectators gona stand/sit to watch???
                3) Where is the space for player's equipments???
                4) Transport for players/spectators
                5) Parking of cars for players/spectators
                6) Layout of race course
                7) Rescue boat services
                8) Advertisment
                9) Sponsers

There are various category for electric r/c boat.

1) Hull types : Mono hull, Tunnel F1, Hydroplane, Catamaran and Outrigger
                2) Battery types : 2S lipo, 4S lipo, 6S lipo and open Cat(10S onwards)
                3) Motor types : Base on motor wattage

For example, you can have Mono hull, 2S lipo, 2000watt motor one category. Then Mono hull, 4S lipo, 4000watt motor another category. And so on.

Most important is have a category with most number of entry. This, got to check with the hobby shops on their sales for various models of r/c boats.

For now, I think I am the only one with a Mono hull, 10S lipo, 10,000watt motor category in SG. Basically they run my type of category as open category in the US together with those 26cc gasoline boats. Racing speed of 100km/h onwards.

But locally, I think the guys would be in the range of 40-50mph, ard 70-90km/h.

Comment

i feel that these issues can be worked around and solved without much problems. what is more important is that i think it would be good if a few enthusiasts got together with me to more or less orientate the nature of the sport/hobby.

to be honest, im not the person who is in any place to reject any ideas. my role here is to help the guys in this forum with trying to get something exciting started.

cheers!

Comment

Hi. I'm just starting out on RC boating and very glad to hear that PUB has started to get feedback to setup the place for RC boat enthusiastic. The launching platform is really very small. As for the floating pontoon, they have the blue print as Bedok and Pandan reservoir have a floating pontoon. They can start from there.
                    A bigger shelter and rest place and maybe toilet facility for a start.

Cheers
                    Leong
                    If the building stops, the buying starts!

Comment

i feel that these issues can be worked around and solved without much problems. what is more important is that i think it would be good if a few enthusiasts got together with me to more or less orientate the nature of the sport/hobby.

to be honest, im not the person who is in any place to reject any ideas. my role here is to help the guys in this forum with trying to get something exciting started.

cheers!
                      Ultimately, it is money that talks if you want sustainability. The number of enthusiasts of fast electric boat in Singapore is not many. I would estimate in the range of 30-50 people only.

Most of us would be content with just a proper venue near our place of residence to run our boats.

When they basic facilities are met, then we can move on to bigger things. I have discussed and put my ideas to PUB and their consultant since three years back. They should have my ideas in black and white.

Can we know of the direction in which Seletar Country Club going with r/c boating??? Give us your ideas.

Frankly, I am willing to meet up for a discussion but I have attended a few of such meetings already and mostly its all talk and no show. The place is still new, let it be for six months, let us run our boats there for some time then we'll continue from there. The immediate facility that is lacking is the carpark.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianli View Post
                        Organise a race is a good start. But there will be problems,

1) Launching platform is only big enough for four players.
                        2) Where spectators gona stand/sit to watch???
                        3) Where is the space for player's equipments???
                        4) Transport for players/spectators
                        5) Parking of cars for players/spectators
                        6) Layout of race course
                        7) Rescue boat services
                        8) Advertisment
                        9) Sponsers

There are various category for electric r/c boat.

1) Hull types : Mono hull, Tunnel F1, Hydroplane, Catamaran and Outrigger
                        2) Battery types : 2S lipo, 4S lipo, 6S lipo and open Cat(10S onwards)
                        3) Motor types : Base on motor wattage

For example, you can have Mono hull, 2S lipo, 2000watt motor one category. Then Mono hull, 4S lipo, 4000watt motor another category. And so on.

Most important is have a category with most number of entry. This, got to check with the hobby shops on their sales for various models of r/c boats.

For now, I think I am the only one with a Mono hull, 10S lipo, 10,000watt motor category in SG. Basically they run my type of category as open category in the US together with those 26cc gasoline boats. Racing speed of 100km/h onwards.

But locally, I think the guys would be in the range of 40-50mph, ard 70-90km/h.
                        Gentlemen,
                        We have organised many races in dufferent locations and I would like to give you some pointers if I may. If the boaters think that all they need to do is to show up and race then I think this race will not materialise. PUB and Seleter country club to not know what is required for a RC boat race. You will need to set up a commitee and deligate jobs to your commitee members.

You will have to oversee if not actually lay the marks.
                        Get race officals to referee the race. Set the rules and race catagories.
                        Cordinate with Seletar Country Club & the PUB for prizes and race details
                        Provide advise on the race requirements including the safety element
                        Decide how the race will be conducted. For public awareness or is this going to be more "official" and entry fees will be collected to cover the costs (if any)
                        To a large extent, the sponsors can come from the commitee as they will know who to approach

The last race did not materialise for one reason or another and this is a brilliant oppurtuinity to show the public and officials that boating is a fun and safe hobby.

Regards
                        Planes: Cap21, Northrop F5E, MK Kingbird, MK Curare, Elster, Jazz60, SouthernX, Zoom 4D

Comment

Firstly, is there anyway i can privatise my posts so just the users of this thread can see it? I'm open to telling everyone about the details of PUB and their agendas but i just feel that it might be abit sensitive.

on another note, SCC (seletar Country Club) is not looking for any kind of financial gain from this, we dont intend to rope in the public to join the club or anything like that.

My role at the moment as far as i know of, is to facilitate you guys in whatever means i can so that we can cultivate a healthy boat activity at the reservoir. as you understand as with all PUB matters, an immediate carpark is not going to just appear out of thin air, Mr Goh has plans to convert a small area into a carpark for the enthusiasts but i hope everyone here understands that it is very difficult to create or further develop anything else if there is a lack of activity there in the first place.

I think Mr Goh is trying to push for these things for the enthusiasts but he can only do so much, at the end of the day it is about justifying the means to the end.

which is why SCC has come in and offered to hold a race to somewhat make it "official" or a startpoint so there is an opportunity to create publicity and awareness. both positive and negative.

positive awareness such as how the enthusiasts are coming out and claiming the boating scene as thier own, how the rowers bay is frequented by all boaters and how it is a fun and interesting hobby to take up.

Negative awareness such as things that can be brought up to PUB so they can address, how the launching platform is only enough for 4 people, how there are no electric sockets, no shade, not enough seats for spectators etc...

Comment

I am actually already very grateful to Mr Goh to set up this place us to run our boats. Anything more is a bonus already. There are only very few electric boaters in Singapore and the number of them who actually run their boat at this place, five fingers is more than enough to count!!!

At the moment, I think having a race is not a good start as this place is not actually opened to the public yet.

For me, all I need is a designated place near my home to run my boat.

By the way, which Mr Goh approach you guys??? The older one or the younger one??? Maybe you wana drop by this saturday morning and have a chat with me at the launching platform??? I'll be there from 7am to 9am. I am there 99% alone. Other than the MY motorcyclist who go there and nap.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianli View Post
                              The number of enthusiasts of fast electric boat in Singapore is not many. I would estimate in the range of 30-50 people only.

Most of us would be content with just a proper venue near our place of residence to run our boats.
                              At the risk of taking this off track, to attract more people to the hobby, you should first create a low cost starter class which people can easily and cheaply get started with. Once you get a base load of interested boaters you will get some who are content to just do this and others who migrate to the faster boats. The starter class should use a standardizied hull / motor / battery configuration to prevent people from buying thir wins.

An alternative to pure racing boats is the springer concept , popular in UK and USA.

The hull design is standardised, and simple, voltage restriced to 6V, no lipo's. If you arent going to race them what makes it fun? Well they have steering courses, but probably of more interest in SGP, is springer soccer. The front of the boats have spring buffers which can push a soccer ball around.

Comment

I think most spectators would want a race to end in couple of mins. Having a springer boat race is more for family day outing for the kids and adults to have fun. I have a vac-u-tow, the speed is pretty much walking pace.

For cheap and fast for beginners, I would recommend the Reef Racer 2 from NTC or Zig Zag Racer 3 from RCS. Both models are RTR. Just charge the batts and play. The best part, they are self-righting. I have a reef racer 2 also.

Comment

Working...
                                X