Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any updates loyn
    make it simple, make it strong, make it work!

Comment

only done tank test , need more weight ....

cant do any test ....... was posted out of town for next 2 mths

Comment

Progress Report!

Comment

hope can test it out this long wkend .....

just returm from US 2 days ago

Comment

finally got to test it in open water, my very first time playing with diy sub. The last one is those toy rtr mini sub in the fish tank.

More work is needed that is for sure .....

1) rudder too small not effective in turning
            2) more sealing as leak still occur
            3) mod on Tx is necessary for easy depth control (disable the spring function)
            4) extend antenna as it go under water real fast (may be need to reduce weight)

time to go back to the workshop

one good news the min WTC and control works well. It is very much diff in control as compare to those toy sub. For me the experience is like flying heli for the first time haha.

Comment

Been busy with work the last few months. Here are some updates on my Kilo. I've installed the stern planes and drilled out the holes at the underside of the hull. I also drilled out the windows in front of the sail and filled them with clear epoxy to simulate glazings ( I stuck an LED torch inside so you can see the effect).

Comment

Loyn,
                What ever happened to your U-boat?

Found out that my sub driver unit wouldn't fit in the Kilo hull (actually meant for a Trumpeter Seawolf, now I know what my next project will be...). I'm now waiting for the appropriate WTC to arrive in a couple of weeks.

Comment

I have always wondered how do you play rc sub; the sub will be submerged and I won't be able to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cklasse View Post
                    I have always wondered how do you play rc sub; the sub will be submerged and I won't be able to see it.
                    Unless you're running your sub in a pool where you can see the bottom you usually maintain it at periscope depth specially in dark murky waters.

Comment

Arkmodel

Anybody order item from there before ? Can trust ? I want to buy subs , the price is cheaper than LHS .

Comment

Buying from Arkmodels

I am into subs as well and have purchased twice from Arkmodels. One is the Song Class submarine kit with WTC while the second is a fibreglass kit of the Hong Kong ferry. The Song Class kit is decent with it ABS hull of acceptable standard. I have yet to build it because the supplied big O Rings to bayonet-mount the 2 halves of the hull are badly produced - I either had to carefully file and sand them so that they can mate properly or machine a new set on my own. The second purchase, the HK ferry kit, however is a complete disaster with the FG moulding so bad that I had to send it back to China for a refund, losing about $90 in shipping it back.

If you search RCgroups, you will find that Arkmodels has a very bad reputation especially when it comes to delivering timely and the quality of their products varies. Some customers waited more than a year, especially if their purchases are for fully assembled models. Even though my HK ferry is a kit, I waited 3-4 months. As for quality, their newer kits are not bad, especially the German 212A subs. I remember seeing a ready to run model in Rotor priced at about $1K plus (cannot recall). You mentioned that Arkmodels' prices are cheaper than local stores. I think you could have mixed up the kit and RTR prices. I have told RCE that if they are ever bringing in Arkmodels products again, I don't mind ordering the 212A from them. I bought my Perkasa patrol boat kit from RCE and it is same or slightly cheaper than buying direct from Arkmodels.

However, if you are serious about RC subs and is willing to pay more for quality, look at what the US and European makers have to offer. As RC sub is a small market, these are usually small or even home run businesses. As an example, look at this 1/72 Kilo class kit (complete with retractable diving planes and periscope) from a US supplier. There is even a small size Seehund (WWII midget sub) static diving model. You can view them at www.rpmtech1.com

Cheers.

Comment

Here's my semi-finished Kilo less internal components ( still waiting for the new sub driver to arrive)

Comment

Originally posted by preferscale View Post
                            I am into subs as well and have purchased twice from Arkmodels. One is the Song Class submarine kit with WTC while the second is a fibreglass kit of the Hong Kong ferry. The Song Class kit is decent with it ABS hull of acceptable standard. I have yet to build it because the supplied big O Rings to bayonet-mount the 2 halves of the hull are badly produced - I either had to carefully file and sand them so that they can mate properly or machine a new set on my own. The second purchase, the HK ferry kit, however is a complete disaster with the FG moulding so bad that I had to send it back to China for a refund, losing about $90 in shipping it back.

If you search RCgroups, you will find that Arkmodels has a very bad reputation especially when it comes to delivering timely and the quality of their products varies. Some customers waited more than a year, especially if their purchases are for fully assembled models. Even though my HK ferry is a kit, I waited 3-4 months. As for quality, their newer kits are not bad, especially the German 212A subs. I remember seeing a ready to run model in Rotor priced at about $1K plus (cannot recall). You mentioned that Arkmodels' prices are cheaper than local stores. I think you could have mixed up the kit and RTR prices. I have told RCE that if they are ever bringing in Arkmodels products again, I don't mind ordering the 212A from them. I bought my Perkasa patrol boat kit from RCE and it is same or slightly cheaper than buying direct from Arkmodels.

However, if you are serious about RC subs and is willing to pay more for quality, look at what the US and European makers have to offer. As RC sub is a small market, these are usually small or even home run businesses. As an example, look at this 1/72 Kilo class kit (complete with retractable diving planes and periscope) from a US supplier. There is even a small size Seehund (WWII midget sub) static diving model. You can view them at www.rpmtech1.com

Cheers.
                            So. as your suggest better don't buy at the interent from Arkmodel ,and how much for Kilo ? is kit or RTR ?

Comment

Buying from Arkmodels

Yup, after my experience I will refrain from dealing directly with Arkmodel. Although the lady worker (can't remember her name now) who answered my emails was extremely helpful and courteous but the boss Mr Feng is a tough one to deal with.

The Kilo from rpmtech can be purchased as a kit or ready built. As a kit, it can be bought full (ie. everything including hull, WTC and the electronics) and the total cost is about US$1,200. It is more expensive than Arkmodel's as the hull is full fibreglass and the parts are superbly made and assembled. For ready built, you can drop the owner Rick (or SilentHunter on rcgroups) an email for a quote.

Alternatively, you can convert the Revell 1/72 Gato Class or the German U-boat to full RC. There are at least 2 companies in USA selling WTC for these models. Expect to pay about US$300 or more for the WTC. I have these 2 kits and may one day acquire the WTCs.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by preferscale View Post
                                Yup, after my experience I will refrain from dealing directly with Arkmodel. Although the lady worker (can't remember her name now) who answered my emails was extremely helpful and courteous but the boss Mr Feng is a tough one to deal with.

The Kilo from rpmtech can be purchased as a kit or ready built. As a kit, it can be bought full (ie. everything including hull, WTC and the electronics) and the total cost is about US$1,200. It is more expensive than Arkmodel's as the hull is full fibreglass and the parts are superbly made and assembled. For ready built, you can drop the owner Rick (or SilentHunter on rcgroups) an email for a quote.

Alternatively, you can convert the Revell 1/72 Gato Class or the German U-boat to full RC. There are at least 2 companies in USA selling WTC for these models. Expect to pay about US$300 or more for the WTC. I have these 2 kits and may one day acquire the WTCs.

Regards
                                I am new bird for building this ? is that very hard to build up ? so why i want to buy at rotor for rtr , but not cheap , where can I get the cheap one to start up for sub ? how you think the Dragon shark ?

Comment

Working...
                                X