Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY EDF plane & pictures

Hi , decided to created this thread so that anyone can post your pictures of your DIY EDF plane and discussion.

To "kick off" is the pictures of my own design EDF plane .

This plane uses modified 55EDF on 3 blade rotary blade from a cut down 3 blade 9-7 prop... and a 5.4KV mtr from R Hobby.

Run on 3S 1800maH lipo drawing a max 17 amps of current at over 54,000rpm.
    Estimated thrust is over 400grams.

Maiden sucessfully this morning. Plane is Fast but control throw is a bit sensitive. Need to reduce the Elevon throw setting. Make only one flight because the sky was dark and cloudy.

Plane:
    Plane uses a 6mm Dupron and a 3 mm hollow C.F rod to stiffen and strenthened the wing. Wing is a basic delta form.

Fuselage is a 5mm dupron externally lined with 0.5mm ply, side and bottom.
    Bottom fuselage waterproof using a 3.5 inch packing tape. This will allows light weight and yet a strong fuselage.

Top fuselage uses a 7-12 oz styro cup cut join and shape accordingly. This will reduce drag and improve flying speed if done properly.( Next time don't throw away the styro cup) ...maybe I should call this plane "Flying styro cup"
    heh! heh! heh!

RTF weight with the LIPOS is 395 grams.

Cheers

Cheers

Goodwork Bro! nice of you to share DIY stuffs!

Cheers! See you around.
    Punggol Field Walk - Precision Landing Required!

Comment

Thanks bro, may post more pic and video when I got the time.

Now thinking of building a bigger DIY version using a 70mm Kamdax or 68mm SFM. Just need to find time. Too busy with work.

Cheers

Comment

hi my diy..a little more conventional and less experimental compared to yours.
        ..i less daring le....

cheers.

Comment

Aeroswift Flying Wing

Here's mine, just a distant memory of a DIY

GWS EDF 55 Himax 2025 4200 (I think)
          Kokam 3s1p 2000
          MGM Pro 25amp
          GWS Pico Standard servos (cheapskate)
          Wingspan: 40 inch

Flight characteristics:
          flies on a rail type, launches easily, light wing loading, floats around fairly well. Quite speedy too.

Last edited by edmond22; 02-02-2007, 11:51 AM.
          Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Hi Bro, very nice pictures and very creative. Keep them rolling. I am building another EDF DIY plane using a bigger fan. Just cut out and join the main wing yesterday. May post some more pictures once they are ready.

Put in some basic info like power plant, wing span and flying characteristics will make this discussion more interesting.

Cheers

Comment

my other diy EDF

Hi, here is my other DIY EDF.

Wing span 30 inches
              Wing area 190 sq in approx.
              Power plant=68mm EDF from SFM 6 blade.
              Motor=walkera 380S
              Max current with 3S lipo=22-23amps

Weight=510grams

WTTR=greater than 1

Flying: Maiden sucessfully last weekend.

will be constructing another DIY EDF as my future test bed for my Kamdax EDF ...coming soon.

Cheers

Comment

My other twin DIY EDF plane

Hi, just completed another project using twin GWS 55 mm EDF.

The twin uses 2 x B20-40-3.2KV brushless motor.

Plane weights 585grams.

Holding the plane vertically and power up, thrust is strong most probably exceeding the plane weight.
                Just to find out more, I added another battery as weight so that the plane now weights 713grams. At full throttle with a good 2100mAH 3s1p lipo thrust is still strong to lift this weight with room to spare.

Measure initial current around 25amps and will drop to around 22-23 amps after a minute of runs.

Will be carrying more test.

More later.

Comment

Twin ESCs leading into the motors? How do you connect batteries? Sorry I'm a newbie. Daydreaming of a quad EDF X-wing model.
                  "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Hi Sunstorm, I suppose you means twin Brushless motor setup.
                    go to http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/show...7&page=3&pp=15
                    thread 32.

Most of the time you need two sets of ESC for the two Brushless motor setup

You need a Y harness connectors between the two ESC and receiver.

You may need to remove the +5v from one of the ESC and leave the other +5V lead for the receiver.(there are exception).

Babylon5

Comment

Originally posted by Sunstorm
                      Twin ESCs leading into the motors? How do you connect batteries? Sorry I'm a newbie. Daydreaming of a quad EDF X-wing model.
                      Sorry I miss out your real query. Attached is the picture showing how the batteries are connected to the two ESC.
                      The Y harness are not shown in this pictures.

Cheers and hope this will help.

Comment

More on the twin DIY edf plane

Try to maiden the twin this morning. Suffer instability problem so plane came down with some minor damaged.

It did reamained airborned but boy I was fighting the controls like crazy for about half a minute.

Looks like the main single vertical fin in the central axis is not enough. Will modified to a twin fin set setup. Winglet at the tip will remain for better stabilities.

May try with a pusher configuration before trying the twin EDF set up again.

Comment

Twin EDF with twin main fin continue

Modified the plane with a twin main fin. Flew sucessfully with a pusher configuration. Plane was very much stable. Was able to trim the plane during flight.
                          Have replaced the pusher to a proper twin EDF setup. Will try again when the weather is ideal for flying.

Attached is the picture of the twin main vertical fin and the 2X55mm EDF GWS .

Cheers

Comment

Another DIY EDF of my own creation

Here is another EDF of my own creation.
                            Decided to built it light weight by going profile.

AUW ready to fly is 290grams give and take a few grams off.
                            Uses 3s lipo 1200maH 15C and a 55mmEDF 3blade from Himodel on a 3.8kv tahmazo 20-xx motor.
                            Max current around 9.5-10amps .
                            Thrust greater than the weight of the plane.

Hope to maiden this weekend.

Cheers

Comment

All right man! One up for the Decepticons!
                              "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Working...
                              X