Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Babylon5 View Post
    Hi L.G. if you view the video towards the end, there are some descriptive info. The wingspan is 26inches(660mm). Weight ready to fly is 470grams.
    This plane is very light. Very easy to DIY launch.
    If you flare the elevator at the right moment, the aircraft will slide nicely on the grass.

Meanwhile, I just install an upgraded EDF out runner motor . It will run 3000rpm higher .
    Current consumption increased by 3amps.
    The new motor will run approximately 43,000rpm at 30amps on a good 3S Lipo.
    Will see how it performs today if the weather permits.

Cheers
    I see thanks for the info.
    Modded Esavage + 4S lipo + KB45 2300KV + HW150A
    Brushless Esky Lama with dual swash
    Esky Dauphin
    Walkera Lama 2
    Walkera 5G6
    Sparrowhawk XB + 2S lipo + 60A brushless esc + 6000kv motor.
    Brushless Mini LST + single servo mod
    Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Just to keep you updated having installed a higher KV motor 4.5KV, the current goes up to 30amps but there is no noticeable increase in speed or the vertical. I guess, the small 55 mmEDF has probably reach its limit before diminishing returns sets in. It got to do with the volumetricity of the 55mm EDF. Most likely, the higher rpm merely compress the air inside the chamber and there is so much the air can exit the small EDF per unit time. Compress air create back pressure against the rotating blade consuming more current in the process than actually producing useful kinetic energy to propelled the aircraft.

To get better performance I change to a bigger fan a 64 mm 5blade but with a 4KV motor. Current drops to 21amps. Here is the video

DIY S.P.A.D. or corrugated plastic Delta wing micro interceptor aircraft on 64mm 5blade ,4KV outrunner motor. Plane is fast. At stationary, system consumed 1...

Performance is comparable to the 4.2KV with 55mm EDF except it consumed less current just around 21amps and the lipo runs cooler and longer flight.

Looks like I can go for higher KV motor with the 64mm EDF.

Cheers

Comment

Another EDF update: I have install a 4.2KV outrunner motor on a 6blade GWS 64mm EDF and i was surprise that the current drawn by a 2.2AH 3S nanotech lipo is only 27amps peak at rest and spinning 40,000rpm base on the ESC timing frequencies method.

I flew the 26 inches wingspan micro interceptor with this setup found noticeable improvement in term of faster flying speed and vertical performance.
        I was running at full throttle for several minutes and when I landed, the battery is just warm to the touch.Aircraft was using a year old 2250mah rhino lipo and still perform. Good old rhino.
        Unfortunately, the rain came before I could test the performance with the New Nano tech LIPO. No video yet maybe some other time.

Comment

Another EDF update: I have install a 4.2KV outrunner motor on a 6blade GWS 64mm EDF and i was surprise that the current drawn by a 2.2AH 3S nanotech lipo is only 27amps peak at rest and spinning 40,000rpm base on the ESC timing frequencies method.

I flew the 26 inches wingspan micro interceptor with this setup found noticeable improvement in term of faster flying speed and vertical performance.
          I was running at full throttle for several minutes and when I landed, the battery is just warm to the touch.Aircraft was using a year old 2250mah rhino lipo and still perform. Good old rhino.
          Unfortunately, the rain came before I could test the performance with the New Nano tech LIPO. No video yet maybe some other time.
          Heres the picture.

Cheers

Comment

Having built the 1.1m Wingspan Mugi , attempt to try out somewhat smaller scale.
            It is the 600mm Wing span Mugi(24 Inches).
            It is power by a 55mm EDF and a 3.7Kv brushless motor.

The specification are:-

1) Winspan 600mm (24 inches)
            2) 55mm EDF and 3.7KV/V brushless motor.
            3) 3S lipo from 1550-1800maH
            4)Static current around 18amps on a full charge packs

The Mugi is modified with an elongated nose for stability.

The Plane maiden and flew pretty well.
            Here are a few pictures taken last week end.

This plane is very agile and can do pretty fast vertical rolls and acrobatic flying.

Cheers and more next time.
            Is there any guide to build this plane?
            Might be choosing corrugated plastic for my first scratch build.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chesterlim15 View Post
              Go to this thread entitle "Steps to building a S.P.A.D."

at http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58196

In the build you will find good info like the type of glue and the tape that makes good surface hinges as well.
              It will show some of the technique in building some nice C.P aircraft.
              One of the critical step is to fold the airfoil correctly so that both side of the aircraft wings comes out symmetry. The key is the spacer spar in which I included into the build.

Hope you find this useful.

Cheers

Comment

Incidently the latest aircraft is taken from the Mugi EVO plan and then it was "hacked"

The plan for this mugi can be found.

However, I make the following changes to the original Mugi plan :-

1) I replaces the twin tail to a single fin and a bottom keel to protect your hand from the propeller during a launch or the prop striking the ground during landing.It also allow stronger and secured motor mounting than the original suggested mounting.

2) The servo are mounted outside the wing instead of inside the wing. The advantage is accessibility and I can keep the wing chord airfoil thickness thin for higher flying speed.

3)A proper fuselage are shaped to an airfoil added to protect the equipment and provide some lift during flight. Lastly a means to grip the Mugi for easy hand.launch.

Cheers and wish you all the best.

Comment

Thx for the link!
                  I don't get the part where you said you changed the 2 vertical stab into a single vertical stab. Cus all the mugi evo I see have 2 vertical stab
                  sigpic

Comment

Thx for the link!
                    I don't get the part where you said you changed the 2 vertical stab into a single vertical stab. Cus all the mugi evo I see have 2 vertical stab
                    Here are the picture.
                    First picture show a typical twin tail mugi. The second picture shows how the first picture has been transform(modified) to the single fin Mugi which was the first experiment with a single fin Mugi.

The 3rd picture is the lastest single fin Mugi of the regular size of 80cm wingspan base on the experimentation with the second picture.

All these picture is configured as pusher mounted propeller . To convert it to EDF is equally easy. Enlarge the rear fuselage to a bigger area and cut out a biger"U shape" to fit the EDF unit. For EDF ,the keel can be eliminated or minimized since there is no open bladed propeller involved.

I found the single Fin has lower drag than twin fin meaning the mugi will glide better and further with the same flying weight than a twin setup.

The fourth picture show you the workable location of the single fin.
                    DIY hand launch is pretty good and no tendencies to yaw to one side after the elevon is properly trimmed.

Cheers

Comment

I have this corrugated Mugi that is lying in a corner of my home for quite a while and decided to try to use a new EDF mount for a twin EDF Mugi. I also has several 3.9KV inrunner motor that had heat issues with the 64mm EDF but not with the 55mmEDF. With 2x55mmEDF and a newly design EDf mount made up entirely of CP material and here is the video flight.

Cheers

Comment

Here is another twin 70mm EDF DIY on a 900mm wingspan Mugi. It flies well but draws a whooping 50 over amps on 3 S 5200mAH...

Comment

Are you the chap running around in PCK boots?

Comment

Working...
                          X