Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips for Weathering a 1/16 Tank?

Hi,

I've been playing with my newly acquired HL 1/16 Pershing for about a week already. Now it's time for me to settle down to some serious paint work.

Really hate the factory colour (really look plasticky), so I sprayed the tank again with Tamiya olive drab. Looks much better now.

But now I'm stuck...The tank looks too new, as if it just rolled out from the factory Think I need to do some weathering on the tank. But I don't know how...and I don't want to mess up the paint work again.

Any advise for me to do the weathering?
    Operational
    1/24 Vs Tiger I, Vs T-72
    1/16 HL Panzer IV, HL Stug III, HL Pershing (Elmod), Tam Tiger I, Torro T-34/85 (Elmod)
    Blade CX2 (Huey)

Workshop/Reserve
    1/24 Vs M1A Abram, Vs A6 Leopard
    1/16 HL Tiger I Late Prod. (Elmod), HL Panzer III (Elmod), Matorro King Tiger

Try the dry brushing technique. It's effective and it's simple enough to be done.
    Losers whine about their best. Winners date the Prom Queen.

Most people talk a lot, only few are up for the moment.

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
    20,000 times a min

Comment

Yes dry brush is one way, but do a "wash" with a dark color before dry brush to create the diff tone to enhance the overall effect. It is commonly used in the 1/35 scale. For a big scale your need to be more careful not to over do it .....another way is air brush

BTW if you run your model offen in muddy area ....the weathering effect will come naturally

Just like mine ....look at those rust on the track...the bear alu body with the paint scrap off by the running gear ......this is my 20+ yr old Tamiya 1/16 tank ....lost many external detail from 2 X house moving and long time cold storage.....then again still running strong

wow found out it have become a collector item.....discontined by Tamiya that apply to my King tiger too

Last edited by loyn; 28-04-2006, 08:24 AM.

Comment

American WW2 Tanks (and Russian tanks too) are usually very dull singular olive drab colour unlike their German WW2 opponents.

You may want to apply a "Winter white wash" Camo on your Pershing to make it look interesting.

Search for 1/35 scales plastic models site for very useful references.
        Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Wah...very nice tank!!!

Now I know what to do. Find a dusty/muddy place and spin the tank there like crazy...then it's be really nice

Originally posted by loyn
          Yes dry brush is one way, but do a "wash" with a dark color before dry brush to create the diff tone to enhance the overall effect. It is commonly used in the 1/35 scale. For a big scale your need to be more careful not to over do it .....another way is air brush

BTW if you run your model offen in muddy area ....the weathering effect will come naturally

Just like mine ....look at those rust on the track...the bear alu body with the paint scrap off by the running gear ......this is my 20+ yr old Tamiya 1/16 tank ....lost many external detail from 2 X house moving and long time cold storage.....then again still running strong

wow found out it have become a collector item.....discontined by Tamiya that apply to my King tiger too
          Operational
          1/24 Vs Tiger I, Vs T-72
          1/16 HL Panzer IV, HL Stug III, HL Pershing (Elmod), Tam Tiger I, Torro T-34/85 (Elmod)
          Blade CX2 (Huey)

Workshop/Reserve

Comment

My first ever weathering job... really very siong, but good learning experience...

Operational
            1/24 Vs Tiger I, Vs T-72
            Blade CX2 (Huey)

Workshop/Reserve

Comment

Hi Calvin,

Hope you dun mind me for being too direct, but your Tank looks like it's made of Aluminium. The silver will work a Aircraft model but not on a Tank.

Maybe you wanna try a rusty brown dry-brush on the "silver" areas and when the paint drys, rub a HB pencil over the corners edges to simulate the "bare metal"

Once again, sorry if I came across as rude or insensitive cause that's not my intentions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostfit
                Hi Calvin,

Hope you dun mind me for being too direct, but your Tank looks like it's made of Aluminium. The silver will work a Aircraft model but not on a Tank.

Maybe you wanna try a rusty brown dry-brush on the "silver" areas and when the paint drys, rub a HB pencil over the corners edges to simulate the "bare metal"

Once again, sorry if I came across as rude or insensitive cause that's not my intentions.
                No problem! Any tips and suggestions are welcome
                Operational
                1/24 Vs Tiger I, Vs T-72
                Blade CX2 (Huey)

Workshop/Reserve

Comment

Phew ! ....Thanks !

I'll try and take some photos of my 1:35 scale Armour subjects later to show you the effects.

Cheers !

Comment

Hi Ghostfit, thanks for your valuable comments. I used a 2B instead of a HB pencil. Here's round two of my amateur weathering efforts:

Operational
                    1/24 Vs Tiger I, Vs T-72
                    Blade CX2 (Huey)

Workshop/Reserve

Comment

Whoa ! .....Bro, that looks just like the REAL thing ! ....WELL DONE !!!!

Now you just have to learn figure painting of the Tank commander !
                      You have to create the Shadows and Highlights on the commander's face as well as his coverall.
                      You can do this by adding a little dark brown to the basic skin colour, thinning the paint down about 50% and apply it to the recess/valleys of the facial skin folds with a very fine brush, clean out your brush but leave it moist with a little paint solvent and "blend" the hard line between the basic skin color and the just applied shadow color so that the effect is a very gradual skin toning.
                      Finally apply a dry brush mix of the basic skin color with a little white over the raised parts of the facial details .....and that is the most basic form of figure painting .....Do the same with the fella's clothe to bring out the detail.

The eyeballs make the fella look like some kinda chinese temple Deities
                      try not to have the pupils as a perfect round dot as this does not look natural (Dun believe me ? ....look at your own eyeballs in the mirror ! )
                      Reduce the White of the eyes and try to make them appear as a triangle at the corners ....be VERY aware that it is very easy to make them appear "CROSSEYED" !

....Cheers !

Comment

Thanks a lot for the valuable tips, brother!
                        Operational
                        1/24 Vs Tiger I, Vs T-72
                        Blade CX2 (Huey)

Workshop/Reserve

Comment

wah the figurine I see I very scare... got sha qi~
                          sigpic
                          What goes up must come down ... its a matter of how

Comment

Mia Lah ! ....wait tonight, come find you !

....Chinese 7th month coming soon you know !

Comment

Sorry to go off topic here but I have to tell everyone this...

God! When I saw the model soldier with those eyes, it reminds me of the "Black Guardsman" statue at Lim Chu Kang Camp. It used to be black and painted with red eyes and there are many stories reported by the guard duty prowlers about the statue moving during the Seventh month. After a taoist priest was hired to exorcise the statue and have the whole black statue painted to resemble a real soldier sans red eyes, the sightings stopped.

I was posted at Lim Chu Kang camp from 94-95 during my NS days.

Comment

Working...
                              X