Clerget, 136
    Hispano-Suiza, 138
    Mercedes 160hp & 180hp, 141
    Siemens-Halske, 144

ARMAMENT
    Lewis Machine Gun, 146
    Vickers Machine Gun, 148
    Air Bombs, 150

The time-scale of this book represents the period in history when aviation was born. There were no rules. In many cases pilots were self-taught and their airplanes were handmade creations of fabric, wood, and dreams. Pilot comfort was not a pressing issue, and airports to operate from were a long time in coming.

Most of the aircraft presented in this book are only memories: scraps of fabric and wire that one time filled the sky with ambition and heroics. The photographs are all authentic; they represent a relatively new idea for the era - aviation photography.

A scale model is only as good as the effort that went into the research of it. There is, in absolute terms for scale modelers, no substitute for a dimension. A measurement of a given dimension of a given part of an aircraft is one of the most valuable aids to a scale project. With that dimension, a conversion to inches is a simple matter of mathematics. If it isn't given, it's only a guess.

These drawings are of both historical and artistic interest, and are what are generally referred to as Master Drawings.

This book is dedicated to the doer and the dreamer, the armchair pilot and the Captain of tomorrow's spaceship. It's history in black and white. The drawings presented herein are the works of master illustrators, such as Wylam, Nye, Larsen, Karlstrom, and others. It was a massive effort, and the drawings reflect countless hours of research and digging through the halls of history. In some cases, measurements were taken from the actual aircraft. In many cases, there were no remaining examples of the aircraft. Obtaining the accurate dimensions of these aircraft was difficult, if not impossible. Where factory drawings and sketches were available, many differences in dimensions were found. To resolve this dilemma, a best-guess approach was used. But it was an educated guess.

Some errors, a few major and some minor, are noted in the text. Modelers and enthusiasts should check them carefully against available photographs before undertaking major projects. A lot of technical material has been uncovered in the last 30 years that was not available to these draftsmen.

It should be noted that the scale reference given in the title block of each drawing does not reflect the scale size of that drawing. All of the drawings in this book have been reduced for presentation and are available from us in their full-size to the appropriate scale. These Master Drawings are rendered in varying scales.

For the scale modeler, this book is invaluable. For the historian, it's a collector's dream. For the aviation-minded, modeler or not, it's a fascinating collection of winged history. We hope you enjoy it.

This book is available, please post in this thread if any member is interested in borrowing.

Cheers

Mike

Comment

Working...
    X