This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Newbies or those New to RC Planes

Hi there . This thread is dedicated to those who are into or just Started out into the world of RC Planes.

For a start , it's NOT impossible to get a plane with a $200 budget or $150 budget provided you are willing to get 2nd hand.

For those who would wanna know more , the most recommended planes that forumers would recommend would be :
    1) GWS Slowstick .
    The slowstick is designed as a trainer to help those new modelers into the hobby. It can glide well but downside is that it might not be able to take windy conditions. A very good trainer .

Plane characteristics : Rudder, Elevator Throttle . 3 channel.
    comes in 100,300,350,400 speed motors.

2)Thunder Tiger Super Cub.
    The supercub is designed as a high wing plane, a good source for a beginner. It floats well too and makes a good slowflying companion for relaxed flights. It's easy to construct like the SS . Definitely smaller than the SS .

Plane Characteristics : Rudder , elevator , throttle . 3 channel
    comes in 370 geared motor.

3)Multiplex Easy Star
    THe easy star handles well in the wind as it's a glider cum trainer plane. good for beginners. it's body is made of EPP if im not wrong, making it almost ubreakable ( crap lah. every plane sure break one ) though expensive, it's another plane to look forward to for gliding season as well as normal flights

Characteristics : Rudder Elevator Throttle
    comes with 400 motor.

THere are alternatives to thse planes such as the Wing Dragon and Cessna 182 by Art Tech. They can be used for 1st time flyers but in my experience ,the WD might be too fast to handle.

We now move to the secition of the Transmitters and receiver.

WHat is a transmitter ? It's your control box where it communicates with the plane. Receiver? its that tiny little box on your plane that receives signals from your Transmitter.
    Tx= Transmitter
    Rx = Receiver

A good transmitter brings a hobbyist far. Invest in a good one. But if you are on a real budget, i started out on a 4channel non computerised Tx. a tx of that kind would cost $190 or $40-80 for 2nd hand with Rx.

Recommendations of Tx :
    1)Hitec Optic 6
    2)9xII
    3)9CAP

for an Rx.
    1)GWS receivers
    2)Hitec "blue coloured" receivers

Frequencies are what is needed . A plane or any RC will communicate through frequncies. a 29mhz Tx can only work on a 29mhz rx ON THE SAME CHANNEL.

Example : 29.825 tx with a 29.825 Rx.
    Available frequencies in Singapore:
    29mhz
    35mhz
    40mhz
    72mhz

LEGAL frequency : 29mhz BUT hard to get Rx

batteries : Technology has given a new blessings towards batteries. Gone are the days of Nicds and Nimh where flight time were less than 5 mins .Lipo or lithium polymer batteries can last you up to 15mins more or less depending on user and battery.

A good charger is recommended as well as good batteries.

Recommended battery brands :
    Etec
    ThunderPower

yours
    Alamin

Which character are you test by

Do note that Transmitters would normally cost Above $200 for a 6channel ones.

6channels are recommended as it gives you more freedom and space for future usage.

A basic look on prices for a supercub.

All prices are for references only on roughly how much things will cost

TT Super Cub = $55.70
    Servos for rudder and elevator *2 = se-06 servos X2 = $36(abt 18 each)
    Lipo battery : Etec 1250 about $45
    apache 2030 charger = $60

for a 4cha Tx+Rx = laser 4 @ $180
    or laser 4@217++ for Tx, rx + servos

*DISCLAIMER* Im not responsible if prices vary from purchases. prices are used for references and may not be the latest .

Comment

Sorry guys .. created so many posts on my own trhead mods can kill me already.

A good starter to save more money would be using a simulator.

Practicing on simulators would be better as it would minimise damages and gives you better feel what flying would be like .

a free software would be FMS here :

you can get a simulator cable + dummy Tx or get your TX first with trainer cable for simulator and practice.

Please note that Im still a newbie myself who crashes so often i almost gave up but thanks to friends and special people , theyve kept me going . Happy flying all !

Comment

Some Q to ans.

Hi all, What you all post is very useful for beginner like me.
        I got a plane Cessna foam plane but i got a TX that brand Futaba 6channel with 40.830Hz.
        Am i to get a same Hz Rx to fly the plane?
        and where can i get the Rx and arnd what cost.

Not to the batt the batt.
        which should i get? cost?

and the batt need a charger? As i see my charger got a Rx output izzit good enough for the Rx to recharge?
        As i want to post on the market place but don know how to post.

Please PM me. Thank you all.
        We should use our power to protect the person we love and not hurt the person we hate.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil
          Hi all, What you all post is very useful for beginner like me.
          I got a plane Cessna foam plane but i got a TX that brand Futaba 6channel with 40.830Hz.
          Am i to get a same Hz Rx to fly the plane?
          and where can i get the Rx and arnd what cost.

Not to the batt the batt.
          which should i get? cost?

and the batt need a charger? As i see my charger got a Rx output izzit good enough for the Rx to recharge?
          As i want to post on the market place but don know how to post.

Please PM me. Thank you all.
          Hi there Devil. for the plane to work , get the same Hz for the Receiver as well , else it wont work.

you can get it at hobby shops , rotor , shs etc.

for the battery, you can get Etec or thunder power though they cost $$ but reliability.

if you need help buying stuff, i can help you out and we go down to LHS together

for your 3rd question, i cant seem to understand. Rx has a charging port ? Im assuming its the Tx with the trainer cable and charging port .

you can charge your batteries on your transmitter(tx) directly from power source

Comment

*additon*

Its good to have aileron controls for your first plane too but for some, it might be difficult. Practice on simulators first or fly with experienced flyers . if somene is using the same Tx, ask or seek help for trimming of the plane and buddy cord if available

Comment

Thanks for the useful newbie guide!

Which 4ch planes would you recommend for newbies?

Also, since planes and helis need only 4chs to fly, what are the other chs used for? I see heli-flyers using 9chs tx and for airplanes you guys recommend 6chs tx.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Valjean
                Thanks for the useful newbie guide!

Which 4ch planes would you recommend for newbies?

Also, since planes and helis need only 4chs to fly, what are the other chs used for? I see heli-flyers using 9chs tx and for airplanes you guys recommend 6chs tx.

Cheers!

hi Valjean ! atcually helis uses 6channels, Pitch,Elevator, Aileron,Rudder,Throttle and Gyro.

the 4 channel helis you see are fix pitch or better known as FP helis.

for airplanes, when you fly nitro , you've
                throttle, elevator,rudder,aileron(sometimes uses 2) retract gears for landings.

also some people wanna do aerial photography(illegal so if you do take pics, dont post here ah.. you've been warned ) so the other channel is to "snap" hte shots.

a good plane can be an E-starter. 4 channels, ailerons,rudder,throttle and elevator. 6channel ot me is just for future proofing things up in my opinion. but its still best to get it

Comment

Originally posted by alamin2
                  a good plane can be an E-starter. 4 channels, ailerons,rudder,throttle and elevator. 6channel ot me is just for future proofing things up in my opinion. but its still best to get it
                  Any recommendations as to hobby shops where I can get an e-starter and electronics for a good price?

Btw, how long a runway is needed for a plane of this sort? I'm wondering whether my large open-air carpark (with not many cars at the deserted end) is suitable to fly this.

Comment

Any recommendations as to hobby shops where I can get an e-starter and electronics for a good price?

Btw, how long a runway is needed for a plane of this sort? I'm wondering whether my large open-air carpark (with not many cars at the deserted end) is suitable to fly this.

you can try Pips Hobby , www.rcflying.biz or Rotor located at Lavender .

runway about 10m would do fine but you can hand launch the plane

carpark is not encouraged, where do you stay ? at least 3 football fields.. car cost more than plane and try to avoid places where there are people. if possible, go to the fields where people normally fly to be safe

Comment

Originally posted by alamin2
                      runway about 10m would do fine but you can hand launch the plane

carpark is not encouraged, where do you stay ? at least 3 football fields.. car cost more than plane and try to avoid places where there are people. if possible, go to the fields where people normally fly to be safe
                      I stay in Tampines as well. There's a flying field at the bike trail right? Do you guys fly there regularly?

Comment

I stay in Tampines as well. There's a flying field at the bike trail right? Do you guys fly there regularly?
                        bro .. pm me your contact you schooling ?

Comment

and might i add tampinese was the place where i learnt to fly! top class ppl around there! they are willing to help in heart beat! thats one of the reason i am still in the hobby

Comment

Are there frequent funflies at Tampines Bike Trail? Any this weekend? Would love to come look-see look-see before I decide to invest so much in a new hobby.

Actually still deciding between rc plane and rc car (drifting).

Comment

Are there frequent funflies at Tampines Bike Trail? Any this weekend? Would love to come look-see look-see before I decide to invest so much in a new hobby.

Actually still deciding between rc plane and rc car (drifting).
                              plane is much fun than car....car is soooo boring..

Comment

Working...
                              X