Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review: Turnigy 9x Flashed with ER9x + FrSky telemetry

This is my first radio and I just start this hobby 3 months ago, so please bear with me. I also rarelly wrote review so I'm not so good in writing review. Hopefully I can cover the whole aspect of it.

Turnigy 9x with its original firmware is just a normal China made Radio, there are bugs here and there. So I looked at the open source firmware Er9x (There are many variant of custom firmware for this radio, but I choose Er9x due to the popularity, other firmware like Th9x also good)

I did lots of modification on the radio, so now it will look like this:
    [ATTACH]109316[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]109318[/ATTACH]

Modifications:
    1. Move the antenna into the module, so the radio become a true modular Radio. This radio can use any JR compatible Radio.
    2. Install ISR programming cable to reflash the firmware, Read and Write models setting.
    3. Use 1500 mah Life battery, can last upto 2 weeks, with about 1 hour daily usage.
    4. Do PPM Fix, so I can use this radio with Simulator like Phoenix, FMS, etc.
    5. Install backlight that controlled by the Firmware.
    6. Install Serial cable (black cable on the back of the radio) for Built in Telemetry using FrSky module.

Now regarding Er9x, what feature can this custom firmware provided :
    •Up to 16 model memories.
    •Multilevel flexible mixer - any input channel can be assigned to any output.
    •Mixers can be added, multiplied or set to replace other mixers.
    •8 5pt curves, 8 9pt curves with graphic visualization.
    •Expo and Dr for the 4 primary channels, split Left/Right with graphic visualization.
    •Throttle trim, throttle expo.
    •PPM input from the trainer port can be used as input to mixer.
    •Adjustable timer for each model. Can be activated by switches, throttle channel or throttle %.
    •Adjustable battery warning voltage.
    •Adjustable contrast.
    •Adjustable beeper.
    •Selectable trim increments.
    •Selectable PPM output - 4ch, 6ch, 8ch, 10ch, 12ch, 14ch, 16ch.
    •Selectable PPM pulse spacing.
    •Limits and offsets for each output channel.
    •Offset can be set with stick inputs.
    •Stick calibration.
    •Graphic or numerical representation of output values.
    •Throttle tracing.
    •Reverse throttle.

There is a PC application called eePe that we can use to setup the model, it also contain model simulation (we can see how the channel react with different type of Mixing).

Here is the splash screen of the firmware when we turn on the radio (you can change the logo with your own image, but we have to rebuild the formware)
    [ATTACH]109319[/ATTACH]

Next I'm gonna write about the what I do on the mixing.

Mixes and Curve

Here is some sample mixes I do for my HK450 heli on Er9x
    [ATTACH]109320[/ATTACH]

And how smooth is the curve with 9 points, even iirc JR DSX9 only provide 7 points.
    [ATTACH]109321[/ATTACH]

Dual Rates and Expo settings:
    [ATTACH]109322[/ATTACH]

Limits / Servoc travel adj, channel invert:
    [ATTACH]109323[/ATTACH]

Custom switches are not really switches at all but rather a set of logical conditions that can be used as switches
    [ATTACH]109324[/ATTACH]

The above screenshot are taken from eePe PC application use to configure the model. Please not, you can apply the above setting directlly from the radio also without using PC.

More......

Comment

Now FrSky telemetry mod:

Since I have move the 2.4 Ghz antenna into Turnigy 9x module, I can now detach the original module easily.

Now I can attach the FrSky module easily, here is how the FrSky module attached :
      [ATTACH]109325[/ATTACH]

Some screenshot on how the telemetry data shown on Turnigy 9x LCD :
      1. Main screen (Shown A1 (Baterry voltage), Rx Signal Strength, Tx Signal Strength
      [ATTACH]109326[/ATTACH]
      2. Subscreens :
      [ATTACH]109327[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]109328[/ATTACH]
      3. Subscreen with GPS coordinate (I don't have GPS module attached so it shown 0 as coordinate :
      [ATTACH]109329[/ATTACH]

As per sensor, curentlly I only measure baterry voltage using a simple DIY voltage devider attached to 1 of 2 ADC ports in the receiver. That's why most of the subscreen of telemetry data looks empty, cause it suppose to shown other sensors data.

The receiver has 1 serial (RS232) port that able to receive data from either FrSky sensor hub or our own DIY sensor hub (FrSky open the protocol for public)

As for the FrSky hub, it can accept these sensors:
      1. Fuel gauge sensor for Nitro / Glow model.
      2. GPS
      3. Variometer
      4. Voltage
      5. 2 Temperature sensor
      6. RPM
      7. Triaxial acceleration sensor

The FrSky module itself using ACCST frequency hopping that similar like futaba FASST.

I haven't try the range, but the specification said the range of this module can be upto 2.5 km.

Comment

bro , Did you get ISR programming cable locally or from online?

Comment

Originally posted by caprc View Post
          bro , Did you get ISR programming cable locally or from online?
          I got it online bro.

Comment

Splashscreen

Decided to play with the splash screen.

Changing splash screen is so easy now with eePe software.

Comment

no doubt its functions easily on par with many mid-high end mainstream txs, and it's way way cheaper.

but i'm concerned regarding its reliability. And reported reliability issue on this tx and/or firmware?
              Fly it like you never Fly before.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative View Post
                no doubt its functions easily on par with many mid-high end mainstream txs, and it's way way cheaper.

but i'm concerned regarding its reliability. And reported reliability issue on this tx and/or firmware?
                Personally, I haven't found reliability issue. On hardware point of view, I compare the potentiometer on this TX and Spektrum DX6i, this one look better. Switches, same quility, microcontroller, this one better

Firmware, no issue so far. Check out the thread in RcGroup:

15K posts in 1.5 years, I follow the past 2 months, and no issue reported.

Now it has dedicated forum:

And now I'm tempted to move Spektrum Radio module/chip into this one so I can use it for DSM2 models, the firmware has support this DSM2 protocol

Comment

An interesting topic going on :

A new protocol for Er9x and FrSky Module + Rx being develop, it calls PXX.

Some of the hightlight:
                  1. Model Matching
                  2. Stack upto 125 Rx in 1 model (Dunno who need that many channels)
                  3. Failsafe sets from TX
                  4. Low latency (Less than 10ms)

Comment

Speaker and DSM2 modification

Just made another modification to my lovely TX.

Replace the buzzer with a small Speaker and now I can hear different tones for different event or alarm instead of just a beeppppp.

And I put in DSM2 RF board taken from DX6i, and it works perfectlly, even Model Match also works flawlessly.

I want to try sending more than 6 channels but I only have Orange 6Ch Rx.

If 8 channels working, this will be awesome

Comment

Made a small modification again.

This time heptic feedback. I manage to find a small heptic motor ussually use in mobile phone.

Install it in my TX and now my tx will vibrate when there is alarm. It usefull when I couldn't hear the audio alarm due to surrounding noise.

This TX is awesome.

Comment

Some tutorial videos

Posting some videos I found that might be useful for others:

1. Lesson 1
                        2. Lesson 2
                        3. Lesson 3
                        4. Lesson 4
                        5. How to Calibrate your sticks & Pots
                        6. ER9x - How to set up your TX with PhoenixRcV3 Simulator using Eepe

Comment

What board is this?

This is the replacement board for Turnigy 9x Radio, this picture is not mine, mine is on its way to Singapore. Its a complete replacement of the original board, what it can do?

Here is a Feature List:
                          Atmel SAM3S ARM Cortex M3 Microprocessor
                          256K of Eprom , 48K Ram
                          4mb EEprom - For Model /sound storage
                          Support for Optrex display F-55472GNFJ-SLW-AAN
                          Built-in external USB socket for Programming / interface.
                          2 external RS232 Serial Ports.
                          PWM control of LED backlight . (dimmable)
                          1/2 Watt Mono Audio Amp , with digital volume control
                          8 ohm speaker output with auto switch over headphone jack output.
                          Micro SD card socket with 4 bit high speed connection to ARM
                          Support for RN-42 Bluetooth Module (spot for external TTL serial connection)
                          Haptic output connector , with PWM drive.
                          ATTiny167 AVR micro for RTC and 12 external switch inputs/encoders or up to 10 A/D inputs , can be battery backuped
                          External I/O connector with 4 lines one with DAC output
                          I2C output connector + spare port pin.
                          5V output.
                          On board current sensor , to measure power usage on battery
                          Second PPM OUTPUT
                          Software control of Power - off

This board using new processor, has more additional ports, bluetooth, more RAM and Flash space,

This board still in Beta version and curentlly only 30 pieces produced, I'm proud to be part of it. Coding on this board has been started and some few peoples already do flight test with this one. When mine come, i hope I can join the folks with the coding and contribute more

The original Er9X is awesome, this one will be more awesome

Comment

Details of the board

Comment

Working...
                            X